Monday, January 03, 2011

All Good Things

must come to an end, or so they say. 

I was thinking back to the goals I'd set for myself when I first got off of work, and how I did on those goals.  Hmmm, let's review.

1.  Finish reading Ronald Reagan's autobiography.  Nope.  I didn't even pick the book up.  I had good intentions, but never seemed to find the time.  The days didn't quite drag as much as I'd initially thought they would.   

2.  Work on test knitting Tabitha's pattern.  Yep.  I made pretty good progress on this.  There have been some problems with the charts, but hey, that's what test knitters are for. 


This is just a few rows shy of the halfway point, and it looks like I will have enough yarn to finish. I was getting worried for a bit.

3.  Sort through old photos on my computer and delete the ones that aren't any good.  Sort of.  I did a few folders worth, but didn't get as much as I'd wanted to, and I didn't get any transferred to an external storage type device. 

4.  Buy new shoes.  Yep, sort of.  I got new work shoes, but not like I'd wanted.  I'd wanted to get some high top shoes or boots, to better support my ankles, but I didn't find any that were all leather.  Except those $100 Timberlake boots that I didn't want to spend that much money on shoes that would just get ruined in the factory.  So, I ended up just buying another pair of the shoes like I had.  I don't really like them, but eh, they'll do.

5.  If it's warm enough, go to the zoo.  Didn't happen.  The weather --on the days I could have made the trip-- just didn't cooperate.

6.  Try to get a life, since I have none.  Well, I did make that one trip to hang out with Amy and Kat, but other than that, my big socializing events consisted of going to Wal-mart.  Hey, it's a start, but like I said, there just isn't any place around here to socialize, except bars.  And I don't do bars.

7.  Watch football.  Definitely. You knew this was going to happen.  Both pro and college.  Heck, Sunday I even had one game on the TV and another streaming on the computer.  I've got the Orange Bowl on right now.  It's shaping up to be a good game, but I won't be able to stay up and watch the whole thing.  Strangely, 5:30 AM has not gotten any later. 

I got the last of the Christmas decorations taken down and put away today, and the house looks just a little forlorn without them.  It kind of reflects my mood, knowing that today is my last day off before I have to go back to work in the morning.  Like the house that suddenly seems drab and colorless, so must I enter back in to the dull sameness of my day to day routine. 

The Cowboys' season is also done.  They had their exit physicals today, and cleaned out their lockers.  And Jason Garrett said, "I want them to go home and watch the [playoff] games, and I want that fire to burn in their bellies."  He wants them to carry that fire into next season, but this season, like my Christmas vacation has come, sadly, to it's end.

But we will remember.  We will remember the good times-- scarce though they seemed, they were still there.

We will carry those memories with us, and those memories will carry us through the long, dark days of the off season.    And before you know it, July will be here, bringing with it training camp, then August with its preseason games, then finally September will arrive and another glorious football season will begin.

Fresh.  New.  Full of promise. 

And life will begin again.

2 comments:

Sus said...

I'd say you did pretty well, especially considering how large and varied the list was and considering the sheer volume of football there was to watch compared to other times of the year. ;) Be proud!

Becky G said...

Thanks, Sus!