Sunday, January 02, 2011

Auggh!

I'm snakebit!


I was feeding Scarlett, and she missed the mouse. Now, those who think they know everything would tell me "This is why you need feeding tongs." And they would be right. But the irony of this situation is that I have feeding tongs, and was using them. That crazy snake still managed to dive right past the mouse and get ahold of my finger. I didn't take her but a few seconds before she realized, "Hey, this doesn't taste like rodent" and let go, but those needle sharp teeth managed to draw blood.

Be that as it may, I've still had more blood drawn by fluffy little kittehs than by all of my nakeumses put together.  

I got my hat washed and blocked today,


but that is all the knitting I've done.  Or I should say, all the knitting related activity I've done, since I didn't actually knit anything.

I've gotten most of the Christmas decorations taken down, and the house looks just a little bit forlorn without them.  I was putting them away, when I found these.


I made these in Sunday School.


when I was six years old.  They hung on our Christmas tree every year, until I was grown.  They had started to get a bit bedraggled, so I decided it was time to put them away.  I've only gotten them out this once, so I could show you.

It's nice to have those little treasures from our childhood.

2 comments:

Dale said...

Wow, I don't know how you do it! I would be letting that snake go back into the wild. He sounds pretty aggressive, but then again I don't know a thing about snakes other than the rattlesnakes I used to kill in north central Texas or the copperheads of Arkansas. I know not to kill a king snake or a black snake because they keep the poisonous snakes away. My grandsons had a cornsnake and that one seemed pretty calm and would let the boys hold him without too much of a fuss. Of course he didn't get as big as your boy has gotten before he passed away.

Becky G said...

Well, first of all, I would never let her go "back into the wild" because she never came from the wild. She is a captive bred bloodred morph corn snake and has never been in the wild a day in her life. She would die out there, and that would make me terribly irresponsible, wouldn't it? Secondly, she is not aggressive so much as she is clumsy. All of my snakes are calm and let me hold them with no fuss at all --even the pythons. Would you shoot your dog if it were trying to grab the tennis ball you were holding and nipped your finger instead? This is no different. The only difference is that you have been taught to hate snakes just because they are snakes-- much like people in certain areas have been taught to hate those of other races simply because they are of other races.

You would do well to leave all wild snakes alone-- even the venomous ones. An estimated 85% of snakebites in the US occur when people are trying to kill or capture venomous snakes.