Friday, January 28, 2011

25 Years Ago Today

I was in college.  At Hardin Simmons University.  I'd just finished up a class-- I don't even remember which one it was.  I headed into the Student Union building to watch my Soap Opera, as I did every day.

Expecting All My Children, instead, I saw this:



I sat watching, horror struck, as they showed the clip over and over.   I watched until it was time for my next class.

Life went on as usual,  for us at least.  But for the families and friends of those seven who were lost, nothing would ever be the same again.

Later that day, President Ronald Reagan would give these words.



Though it's been a quarter of a century, this is one of those things that says with you for the rest of your life.  For the seven, we will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them

as they slipped the surly bonds of Earth to touch the face of God.

.

No comments: