Monday, January 17, 2011

A Dream

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.-- Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think Martin Luther King, Jr. would be rolling over in his grave to see how his words have been warped and twisted to perpetuate the very racism he worked so hard to eradicate from this country.  It seems to me that we live in a world where content of character means nothing. 

Unfortunately, there are still too many people who gain too much wealth and power by keeping the races pitted against each other.   There are still too many people willing to play the race card in an attempt to gain an advantage. 

Of course, there will always be bigots in the world. Believe it or not, I lost some Facebook friends after publishing this post.   But I think for the most part, if the politicans would just leave us alone, we could get our differences worked out.

My friend Vanessa, who is black, told me, "We need to just get over the past.  None of us were around when that happened, and it's time to put it behind us and move on."  

Character...Vanessa has it.

Zo gets it, too.

3 comments:

Dale said...

Dead on the money! Great post Becky!! "It seems to me that we live in a world where content of character means nothing." That was my immediate thought before I even read your post. Well put my dear!

Anonymous said...

How bizarre that you lost Fb friends from that post. I'm not on Fb anymore, but it has nothing to do with you. And besides, I still consider you a RL friend. ;)

Becky G said...

They weren't real friends, anyway. Besides, you and I have been buds before Mark Zuckerman was even a twinkle in his daddy's eye!