Saturday, January 01, 2011

First Day

of the new year, and the first FO of the new year.


I cast on this hat last night and finished it up while watching TCU win the Rose Bowl. Here, Charlotte models the hat in its pre-blocked state.


I didn't have a pattern. I based it on a hat I'd seen in Wal-mart a couple of years ago. I'd jotted down some notes on the back of my shopping list, and found them again during my frantic search for The One Ring.

The pattern is:

CO 80 stitches onto size 6 needles. Work K 4 P 4 rib for 1 1/2 inches. Switch to size 7 needles and work 1 inch garter stitch. Then work K 2 P 2 rib for an inch, followed by 1 1/2 inches of garter stitch. Switch to stockinette and knit until the hat measures 6 1/2 inches from cast on edge. Work your favorite decrease.


The yarn is Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Forest Green Heather. 

Rylea was carrying on something fierce. I went to let her in, and saw this critter in my back yard.


They really aren't as ugly as most people say they are.  At least I don't think so.

But then, I've always had an affinity for the ugly creature. 

It isn't just beautiful people who need love, even though our society seems to feel that only beautiful people are deserving of love.  As if those of us who don't look like the latest fashion model somehow don't have feelings. 

I didn't kill the possum.  He was just looking for someplace to get warm. 

.

3 comments:

Sus said...

Neat hat! It's kind of an interesting pattern, isn't it? The garter stitch broken up by internal ribbing and a stockinette top isn't something you see every day. I didn't see the one that inspired you, but I think your creation is pretty cool, indeed! And thanks for writing up the pattern! :)

Becky G said...

Thanks, Sus. Yes, I thought that pattern was striking. I think I may try to make it again with each section being a different color. I've got enough leftover yarn to do that, I think.

Sus said...

Oooh, that would be cool, too!