Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Stashalong 2008

It took me a long time to come up with some Stashalong goals. I did this last year, and I think I ended up with more yarn than I started with. That sort of defeats the purpose of stashalonging, so I figured I'd better do something different this year. My ultimate goal is to reduce the amount of yarn languishing in my stash. In order to accomplish this, I decided on the following:

I will not buy any new yarn for two months at a time. For each two month period, I will allow myself one free day. If I should win a free day for a KAL within a KAL or any other reason, that will count as my free day for the two months. I will only have one free day for each two month period, regardless.

Even my free days will have some restrictions, though. Those are: the total yarn purchased on free days must be less than the amount of yarn knitted up during those two months. For example, if I knit up three skeins of yarn, then I may only buy two skeins--or less. Free yarn gained in swaps or trades or won in contests counts as my free day. If I don't use my free day, it is forfeit.

The exception to these goals will be if I need something specific for a gift or charity knitting and have already used my free day. If I haven't used my free day, then gift or charity knitting will count as the free day for that period. If I have used my free day, then I must purchase ONLY what is required for the gift/charity project.

The only exemption is dishcloth cotton. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to continue with my monthly dishcloth KAL. If I do decide to continue, then I will have to buy suitable cotton yarn, but I will buy ONLY what I need for the KAL.

Boy, it sounds like I'm being really hard on myself, but that is what it will take to get my stash under control.

2 comments:

Opal said...

I think those are great goals to keep your stash under control. You'll have me cheering at the sidelines in order for you to keep it too!

Becky G said...

Thanks Opal.