Saturday, January 19, 2008

Saturday Is For


But don't let this one fool you. It is cold out there! It was 36 when I got up, and struggled to get up to 38. I went out to get the mail around noonish, and I thought, "It isn't so cold out here." On the way back from the mailbox, however, I was facing into the wind, and it suddenly got a whole lot colder.

After a strong North wind blowing all day, it is currently 32, and expected to drop even lower. They're predicting low 20s by morning. If it weren't my day to work in the library, I'd be tempted to skip church and stay snuggled in.

As it is, that is what I did today. I didn't even get dressed. I am still sitting here in my pjs. I did get around to blocking the Branching Out scarf. I started pinning it out,

but when I got about halfway done, I realized I was pulling to too far lengthwise. At the rate I was going, it would have ended up being about 12' long. So, I pulled it all up and started over. As it is, the scarf still ended up being about 8' long.

I pinned it out in the snake/craft/computer room, and to keep the dogs from getting too interested, I put a sentinel at the door.

I show you this picture just to prove that I do, indeed, own one of these. I know you can't tell it from the state of my carpet, but it does have its uses. It did an admirable job of keeping the dogs out of the room and away from the scarf.

After unpinning the scarf, it was so light, and airy, and soft, and warm--well as warm as lace can be, that I couldn't stop tossing it in the air, and draping it over my hands. I was tempted to run out into the street and accost passersby to admire it, but I managed to restrain myself. I finally regained control, and arranged the scarf artfully on the chair to show you it's loveliness.

Here is a closeup of the stitch pattern:


The rest of the day was spent working on my second Tidal Wave sock. I am about halfway down the foot, and may even finish it this evening. It will definitely be finished by tomorrow.

Then I will be done. For about 5 minutes, I will have NO active WIPs! I'd best get busy. Cody is already asking when his hat will be done.

Knitting

8 comments:

frotoe said...

That scarf is beautiful!

Perpetual Beginner said...

Very nice - both the scarf and the end of the WIPs.

The only way I'll have no WIPs is if I go frog them all. Though I am about to finish my third paid knitting project. One sweater and two yoga bags so far (this is the second yoga bag).

Becky G said...

Thank you frotoe.

Cindy, I used to think like that, too. In fact, I didn't want to be WIPless. I didn't see the fun in only having one WIP on the needles at a time, and couldn't understand why people would only work on one thing at a time. When I got started with this, I was only trying to reduce the number of my active WIPs, but got on a roll. Now I'm down to just the last bit of that sock, and I will be totally WIPless. Then I'm promptly going to cast on two or three more projects, one being Cody's hat.

Did you ever get into Ravelry? What is your user name?

Bag Blog said...

Ooh, Becky, that scarf is beautiful! Good choice!

I think it is warmer here in Scotland than it is at home.

Buck said...

The scarf is indeed beautiful. I don't know Jack about knitting, but I know a lil something about beauty... and it is that!

Becky G said...

Lou, and Buck, thank you.

It was pretty cold here this morning--18'. It was warmer in Massachusetts.

Opal said...

I love the scarf! The color variegation is just right.

Becky G said...

Thanks, Opal.