Monday, January 28, 2008

Black Belt Class

I finally made it back to Black Belt class. Cody and I took turns being sick last week, and thus missed the whole week of karate. It was good to be back in class. I am so out of shape that even going through half of the kata at half speed was a good workout for me. We did seisan, wansu, chinto, kusanku, and sunsu which worked out really well because I'd done all the others at home this morning. Even sanchin, which I hate. Hate that kata. With a passion. A pink and purple passion. Hate it.

Did I mention that I hate sanchin kata?

Well I'd done seisan and sunsu at home as well, but it never hurts to do them more than once. After class, I stayed and did all of my weapons kata. Those would be tokumine no kun, and urashi bo, and agena no sai, and kusanku sai. I thought I would go in early and get some extra work in, but there are so many kids running around at that time, that there is no place to work.

After going through kata, we worked with the little brown belt boy on his kata, then did a sparring type drill. I had a really hard time with this drill. It is a way of gaining distance without moving our upper bodies. I'll really have to work on that one. I just can't seem to keep my upper body still.

I also found out that sensei will not be recommending me for promotion at the shiai in March. That means I will have to wait a whole nother year to be considered for my ni-dan. I think I could have been ready. Well, if sensei spent as much time working with me as he does with other students, I definitely would have been ready. But even working on my own, I think I could have been ready.

He wants me and the other female shodan to work together and inspire each other. That is really hard for me because I don't even like her. I don't know. She moved here last summer and started attending our dojo, and the first thing she does is walk in and try to change everything. For example, we sometimes do what we call "no-focus kata." We have called it that for at least 5 years, but she comes in and insists that it should be called "free flowing kata." Then a couple of weeks ago, she was telling sensei how he needed to be teaching kata to new students. Now, that is just downright disrespectful. And of course, everything was better in her old dojo. It's always "we did it this way," or "we did it that way," or "master so-and-so this," and "Master so-and-so that."

She is so loud, and so domineering, and so overbearing, and such a know it all that I just can't make myself like her no matter how hard I try.

To find out that I've got to wait another year for my ni-dan for her to be ready sure doesn't help any.

6 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

I'm sure it doesn't - though that bit is probably not her decision.

Being in a new dojo is hard. It's always different, and it's hard to tell whether a suggestion or comment is going to be helpful or arrogant. However, insisting that the way her old sensei did it is the way it should be done seems rude and rather un-Isshinryu. After all, "all bottles are good."

Unknown said...

I agree with Perpetual Beginner. Even in our form of TKD, there is a fine line between making a suggestion or helpful comment vs. going against the high rank in the school. No matter what, the highest rank's word (in this case, your sensei's) is "gospel" on how to do things. If he calls it "no focus kata" then it's no-focus kata, and she'd better get used to it. When my instructor hears that some other instructor does such and such this or that way, she remind that student that right now, it's HER class, and SHE'S the highest rank in the school, and it's HER school, so she is the authority there, not XYZ instructor. She will also remind said student that she goes to more recertifications for katas, weapons and tournament rules than almost anybody around there, including several of the Masters (those who are ranked even higher than she), so she is totally current on what's considered the latest and greatest in what's acceptable and what's not. You might want to remind your fellow student that when she is up on that stuff more than your sensei, then you will listen.

I think it's pretty bad that your Sensei wants you to pair up with this woman. DId you ever have that little chat with him about equal time? Is there another testing this year, perhaps in the summer instead of the spring? We are testing every two months, unless you are a 3rd or 4th degree and up (they test only at national and world championship tournaments). To wait a whole 'nother year seems like it might be torture. But, if nothing else, in a year you'd have this stuff down so well that you could do it in your sleep, and you'll have all those nuances perfected that you'll make the other woman look like an amateur. ;-)

Opal said...

What a disagreeable woman. I'm so sorry that your Sensei has you paired up with her.

I have someone like her in my knitting group and she seems to have attached herself to me because we both have autoimmune disorders. I'm torn between being polite and telling her off. I just wasn't raised to be rude no matter how much I'm pushed to it.

frotoe said...

Oh that must be incredibly aggravating. Has anyone ever said to her....."then go back to your old dojo.."? I'm sure there are reasons why she isn't there anymore, but really...you're in a different dojo now, lady, go with the new flow and shut your mouth. and what must be even more annoying is that your sensei probably hasn't said anything to her to make her stop. grrr

Mathieu said...

Sanchin is meditation in movement.

Enjoy it! It's a century of traditions or so.

Why not talk to your sensei about it.

:D

Becky G said...

Cindy, no that is not her decision. I understand that, but frankly I want to be tested on my own merits and abilities rather than on whether someone else is ready to test.

Dani, I've talked to sensei about a gajillion times about getting more attention. So much so that I feel like I'm nagging. I'm to the point where I've given up. Our board only convenes once a year, so I won't have another shot at testing until next year. I can pretty much already do my kata in my sleep. Just keep in mind that that other woman will have the same year to polish her stuff as well.

Opal, I agree. I want to say something, but feel it will just put me on the same level with her.

Frotoe, she moved down here to Mississippi with her husband last summer. Her old dojo is in Michigan, so it's not like she can just go back. Sensei is not the kind to say anything about stuff like this. It's not my place to say anything either, but I sure wish he would.

Mat, y'all must have a different Sanchin than we do. Nobody I've talked (in my style) to likes ours.