Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Jealousy

My first black belt class after the holidays. We have a 12 year old ik-kyu in the dojo who will be testing for his junior black belt soon. The entire class last night was spent working with him, getting him ready. Sensei says that will be the focus of our black belt classes until he tests.

I must admit I feel more than a little bit of jealousy. Sensei is spending all this time working with him.

Last year, about this time, when two more of our students were getting ready to test, sensei would spend the entire class working with them, while the rest of the class worked kata by ourselves. He even brought in black belts from our parent dojo to evaluate them and work with them.

I would have killed to have been able to receive that kind of attention. What I got was, "Go over in the corner, on your own, and figure out, on your own, what you will need to know for your test."

This summer, I will be eligible to test for my second degree. Sensei has indicated that he will recommend me for promotion. I am no where near ready. Yet, all of our black belt classes will be spent getting this one child ready for a junior black belt, while I am neglected once again.

Makes it mighty hard to stay motivated.

Mighty hard.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Becky, I do think you should say SOMETHING. You don't have to be confrontational about it necessarily. But you should remind your Sensei what you've had to do to get to where you are at, and you are an equal student to anyone else there, and deserve equal attention. Just because you are very self sufficient doesn't mean that you can't use the advice and knowledge that Sensei has to help you not only represent yourself in the best light possible at your testing, but also represent him and your dojo too. Like I said, remind him gently that you need equal time, especially in light of the past, and in light of the fact that you don't feel confident to be ready by the prescribed time, and that you have more difficult material to conquer. You know how it is...sometimes boys need reminders. ;-)

Buck said...

You know how it is...sometimes boys need reminders. ;-)

Only sometimes, Windsornot? Constantly, in my case...;-)

Well said...on all counts, and I agree whole-heartedly. You could do much worse than following Windsornot's advice, Becky.

Opal said...

I totally agree with Windsornot and Buck. This is definitely the time to be assertive.

Becky G said...

Yeah, I know I need to talk to him, but I've talked to him so much I'm beginning to feel like a broken record.

Silverstar said...

Sorry to hear about you feeling neglected. Is there anyone else you could ask to monitor your progress?

Becky G said...

Unfortunately, I am the highest ranking student in the dojo. Well, that attends regularly, that is.