Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Finished Hat

I finished Cody's hat last night. It was a quick knit. I didn't use a pattern. I just cast on 96 and knit until it was tall enough, then began decreasing every other round until I had 6 stitches left. Threaded the yarn through the remaining stitches, pulled it tight, and wove the end in.

Here we have the handsome lad modeling it:

Yes, he is wearing it inside out. That's the way he wants it.

I also cast on a pair of Roundabout Socks



and a Clapotis.


Yesterday was MLK day and a holiday at work. I didn't get anything done that I'd planned to do. But I did peruse knitting patterns for a great deal of the day. Funny thing I've noticed. I will open a pattern--let's say it's a scarf pattern--and immediately see the words:

This is a copyrighted pattern. You may use this pattern for your own personal use, but give me credit for it. You may not distribute this pattern. You may not sell items made from this pattern. All rights reserved.
or something very similar. All well and good, but when I look further at the pattern, I discover that it is nothing more than a simple garter stitch scarf. How can one copyright a garter stitch scarf? The garter stitch--knit every row--is as old as knitting itself. Yet, I'll bet there are at least 2, 475, 361 people claiming copyright on the garter stitch scarf.

Same with socks. I lost count how many times I'd seen people claiming to hold the copyright on simple stockinette stitch socks. These patterns are so simple, so basic, and so old, I just don't see how anyone can claim to own them.

For the non-knitters among you, that's like claiming copyright on the alphabet.

Say, there's an idea. I wonder if I can copyright the alphabet. Collect royalties every time someone writes, types, or reads a letter. Every letter.

I'll be richer than Bill Gates.

4 comments:

Sus said...

And their copyrights are worth as much as yours would be if you did assert that you had a copyright on the alphabet. They're empty words and a little ego stroke. I ignore them. (I say that like I'm making money off my knitting -- HA!!!)

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you on the copyright thing. It's a pain in the tushie! And a joke and a half. I mean, does that person have nothing better to do than to hunt down all the people who have infringed on the copyrighted pattern and sue them? It's like those wristwarmers that I like to make. They are a quick knit to make, and I bet you that in different yarns and sizes, that would be something that you could sell at a school craft fair or something like that and they'd be a hit. But wait-- sorry, can't do it because the pattern in copyrighted, etc. Oy vey! Gimme a break!

And yes, if you copyrighted the alphabet, then you definitely would be richer than Bill Gates. Heck, the guy who owns the rights to "Happy Birthday" just died recently (he lived in my area), and the profits from that were used to start a music business for teaching infants, toddlers and preschoolers about music (like a Mommy and Me sort of thing, but with actual music theory at work). Drew and I participated in it, so it was money well spent. But you have to imagine, that's gotta be some good dough right there!

Opal said...

Nifty hat! I love the colors of your Clapotis.

I would love to see you copyright the alphabet. *snort*

omly said...

My partner always wears his hat inside out too!