Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Rest Of The Story

Buck has asked for the story behind yesterday's post, so without further ado...

Every fall, this town holds its annual Downtown Jubilee on the square. Among the main attractions are local entertainers, a car show, and arts and crafts booths.

Children's Activities Choir
Children's Activities Choir Performs at Downtown Jubilee

I left around 9:30 AM, before it got too hot. I asked Cody if he wanted to go, but he said no. However, as I was walking out the door, he handed me his wallet and said that if I saw anything he would like, to buy it for him.

The first booth I approached had leather tooled wallets, belts, bracelets and the like. As I was perusing the wares, the owner of the booth asked me what my wristbands meant. I always wear two wristbands. I explained to the man that the LiveSTRONG band was for supporting those with cancer, and the other is my black belt.

"You're a black belt," the gentleman asked?

"Yes, sir." I replied.

"I also notice that you're not married," he then said.

"No, I'm not," I responded.

"Well, that's why!" he sneered. "Men are all afraid of you."

"Maybe so," I said.

"You need to quit doing that karate, so you can find a husband," he condescendingly informed me.

"Maybe that's why I started doing it in the first place," I answered, using all the self control I learned in my 4 1/2 years of training not to clock him.

He then began trying in earnest to sell me a leather bracelet for Cody. When I told him that Cody wouldn't wear that, what did he show me? Another bracelet. Three or four more bracelets, in fact. And a wallet, and a key fob, and a belt buckle.

After about a minute, I just walked away. The entire conversation had taken no more than two minutes, but that was about all I could take. Dude, I wanted to say to him, it is generally not good business practice to insult potential customers if expect them to buy from you.

I did buy Cody something, but not from that guy. I ended up getting him this:



He liked it a whole lot better than a cheap, mass market, dingy looking leather bracelet. That is a Peyton Manning rookie card in the upper right hand corner. Once Cody saw this, he decided that maybe Downtown Jubilee wasn't such a boring thing after all.
.

7 comments:

Robin said...

Pardon me for saying this...but I would have had to say:
It's none of your "g-d"(I normally don't say that) business be glad I'm not using my skills on you! Or...Most of the men I meet have the same arrogant attitude you just showed!

Sus said...

Um, yeah. Good control there -- *much* better than I would have had. I hope his sales are crap -- and they are if that's part of his pitch.

Wow.

Buck said...

Agree with Sus on the self-control. You gots it...I don't!

;-)

Anonymous said...

I would have said, "Actually, it only seems to scare off insecure guys like yourself." Most men these days like a strong woman, and if they don't it's because they have issues.

frotoe said...

UGH! What a jerk! That DID take a lot of self control not to clock him. what a pea-brain.

Unknown said...

Agreed with the consensus here. Sounds like a real jerk. It's amazing how narrow minded some people are like that in this day and age. He definitely didn't deserve your business now or ever after that.

Becky G said...

Thanks for all the supportive comments. I don't usually let things like this bother me, because, well, I know that he's the one with the problem, not me.

I know what's right, and those who care about me know it, too, so what a total stranger thinks doesn't matter one whit to me.

Maybe I'll find a husband when I start looking for one. Right now, I just don't have time.