Wednesday, October 17, 2007

It Started

It started when I had a sinus infection a few days ago. I didn't think too much about it, because my teeth often get sore when I have a sinus infection. By yesterday morning, however, the sinus pain had cleared up, and the tooth pain was severe. Technically, it's the socket where my tooth used to be, but let's not quibble over details. What I suspect happened is that the socket was vulnerable due to its recent trauma, and the infection settled there. I snuck out of the plant and called my dentist, who prescribed an antibiotic. He also said that if it's not better in a few days, come on in and we'll do our thing. OK, he didn't phrase it exactly like that, but you get my drift.

What is getting to me right now is the lack of sleep. Being hypersensitive to most painkillers--i can't tolerate aspirin or ibuprofen at all, and can only tolerate low doses of acetaminophen--there's just not much I can do about the toothache. I have some prescription painkillers, but they don't seem to be all that effective. Laying down flat just seems to aggravate things. Propping up on pillows helps, but I don't really sleep all that well.

So today I called in sick, and as soon as Cody is off to school, I'm going to go lay back down and hope to catch some snatches of sleep between the waves of pain.

6 comments:

Robin said...

Oh, I hope you feel better soon! Chicken soup...

Buck said...

Becky...call your dentist and have him get you in today, while you're off work. This stuff doesn't ever get better...it only gets worse.

OK. I'll quit channeling your Mom now.

Sus said...

How well do you tolerate sleep medicine? Maybe that could let you get some rest? Just a thought. Best of luck -- I know many dentists won't do anything if they suspect there's an infection until it's cleared up. I'm thinking of you.

Perpetual Beginner said...

Ouch! I hope the antibiotics do the trick, and quickly. Good luck!

Becky G said...

Robin, thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have any chicken soup on hand. Sure sounded good, though.

Buck, he won't get me in until I've been on the antibiotics for 4 or 5 days. Like Sus said, many dentists won't, and none around here will do anything if they suspect infection.

Sus, thanks for the suggestion, but I don't usually do well on sleep medications. I don't react badly, but they don't help me sleep either. I haven't tried prescriptions, though, just OTC.

Cindy, thank you. I think they are helping already. It's past time for my pain pill, and I'm not screaming!

frotoe said...

Yuk! Dental pain is the worst! Hope you feel better soon.
Those scarves are gorgeous, btw. :)