Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Crybaby Moments

I am normally not a crier. It takes a lot to make me cry--except in the presence of wild hormone fluctuations. In that case, I claim no responsibility. However, there are some lines/scenes in old movies and TV shows that, as many times as I've watched them, still make me choke up. Seriously. I was mentally composing this post at work, and just the thought of these had me in tears.

Seriously.

Break out the tissues, because here they are, my top ten movie/TV crybaby moments:

10. The Chronicles of Narnia--The movie. At the end when the Professor says, "What were you all doing in the wardrobe?" Peter answers, "You wouldn't believe us if we told you," and the professor says, "Try me!" I don't know what it is about that line "Try me," but I choke up every time he says it.

9. Apollo 13--When they make it back safely. For obvious reasons.

8. M*A*S*H--Season 7 Christmas episode. Radar writes to Charles' mother and has her send him his toboggan cap. I don't know if it's the happiness on Charles' face, or Radar's act of kindness even though Charles has treated him like dirt. Maybe we should all be a little more Radar, and a little less Charles.

7. Miracle on 34th Street--The very end of the movie, they are in the house that is for sale. Fred and Doris find Kris' cane. Doris says, "It must have been left by the people who moved out." Fred replies, "Maybe. Or maybe I didn't do such a wonderful thing after all." Santa Claus exists. Really, he does. I believe. Don't you?

6. Lord Of The Rings The Return Of The King--Face it, the entire last half of this movie moved me to tears, but there are a few lines that stood out above the others. One is when Aragorn is crowned King, and the Hobbits bow to him. Aragorn says, "My friends, you bow to no one," and the entire population of Gondor bows to the four Hobbits. Oh, pass the tissues!

5. M*A*S*H--Season 8, when Radar goes home. I was fine until the scene where Hawkeye finds Radar's teddy bear on his cot. Then I squalled. Even Cody cried at this.

4. Lord Of The Rings Return Of The King--When Aragorn says, "For Frodo."

3. A Charlie Brown Christmas--when Linus quotes the Christmas Story from the Bible, then says, "That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown." That is what Christmas is all about.

2. Lord Of The Rings Return Of The King--Sam and Frodo are struggling up Mount Doom. Frodo has reached the end of his strength. He can't go on, and Sam says, "I can't carry it (the ring) for you, but I can carry you!" Everyone needs a Sam in his life.

and my biggest crybaby moment of all time;

1. It's A Wonderful Life--when Harry says, "To my big brother George, the richest man in town!" I cried just typing that. Seriously.

So there you have it. My biggest crybaby moments of all time (so far). Anyone who reads this post is tagged. Come up with your own list of crybaby moments and post them on your blog, then tag as many or as few people as you want to.

What moves you?

5 comments:

Tabitha said...

Have to agree with you on a lot of these though I have never really thought about a top ten list. I especially the Lord of the Rings - and I even knew how it ended before I saw the movie. The really ridiculous one that always gets me is when ET "dies". Silly huh?

Bag Blog said...

This list of cry baby moments in movies is going to take some serious thought. I might cry at #3 and 5, but not so much the others. I don't remember crying in LoR at all. Am I just a hard heart? Maybe one or both of us needs her hormones checked:)

Buck said...

Not being a movie guy, nothing jumps out at me. Well, maybe when Brubaker buys it in the ditch at the end of The Bridges at Toko-Ri. That movie, btw, is the source of the quote "Where do we get such men?"...which is a tear-jerking moment in its own right.

Sus said...

Castaway:

"Wilson! Wiiiilllsssooonnn! WIIIILSSON!!!"

I never thought I would bawl so hard over a ball. Dang. I do it every time.

Anonymous said...

Anyone who reads this post is tagged.

Dang! I can only think of one movie crybaby moment at present.

I do know both of your MASH references though, and I concur.