Friday, October 12, 2007

A Fairly Quiet Day

It's been a fairly quiet day today, though it didn't start out that way. It got chilly last night. So chilly (41') that I felt the need to turn on the heater this morning. It was the first time it's come on this fall. Well, you know what happens when your heater comes on for the first time. All the dust that has collected on it over the summer burns off. And smokes. Enough that the smoke detectors go off in the house. And since they are ganged, they all go off.

That being said, it was pretty easy to get Cody out of bed this morning.

Once he'd gone off to school, I was getting ready to go grocery shopping. I was topping up the antifreeze in my radiator, when from the direction of the paper mill, I heard a loud crashing and banging, followed shortly by alarms. J works there, but was off today. Anyway, he told me later that a crane had fallen over. He didn't mention anybody getting hurt, though.

So, other than fire alarms going off and cranes falling over, it has been a quiet day, and a lazy one. I didn't get anything done that I'd planned on doing except shopping. And knitting. Always knitting going on here...

I finished these fingerless gloves yesterday evening. They are going to be B's Christmas present, so I hope she doesn't pick this one day to read my blog. If you are reading, this, well. Surprise!


I've also worked some more on my Columbine Peaks socks, and they should be finished by the end of the weekend. Oh, Oh, Oh, look what I got in the mail today. It actually came a couple of days ago, but B kept forgetting to send it home with Cody. (Since she is usually home during the day, the postman leaves packages with her if they won't fit into my mailbox.) This is hand dyed sock yarn from Shelly Dyes. It is really nice yarn. The colorway on the left is called What Willie Wore. I'm wondering where that came from. If I were a Miami Dolphins fan, it would be perfect, but alas I am not.


The one on the right I bought, thinking it would be good to knit Cody some socks from in LSU colors. However, in person, the yellows are much more orangey than they show up, even in this picture. I think I'm going to try to dye some yarn myself, however, Knit Picks is out of their undyed sock yarn so I'll have to wait a bit.
Got a busy day tomorrow, so I'd better get on to bed. Goodnight.

1 comment:

Sus said...

LOL about getting Cody out of bed!

Hope you enjoyed your lazy day -- we all need them now and then. The fingerless gloves are too cute. I'm sure B will love them, surprise or not!

Now I'm off to ::gasp:: blog!