Monday, September 03, 2007

More Sundries

Sus, your wish is my command. The Yukon leaves socks pattern close up:


Note that I have carried the pattern down the foot. This is personal preference. All socks can be made with the entire foot in plain stockinette.

We have one! The second hurricane of the 2007 season, Felix, is now a category 5 storm. He attained Cat 5 status approximately 8:00 PM Sunday evening. He has sustained winds of 165 MPH and gusts of 200+ MPH. This is as strong as Katrina ever was.

UPDATE: He has weakened slightly through the afternoon, but is still a strong Cat 4 storm. He is not expected to be a threat to the US, but will likely hit Mexico in roughly the same areas devastated by Dean.



From the department of absurd lawsuits:

A West Virginia man is suing McDonald’s for putting cheese on his hamburger after he explained his allergy at the drive-through. The plaintiff “repeatedly asked as to the status of his food and whether it had no cheese, and took multiple preventive steps to assure his food did not contain cheese,” the suit says. However, he proceeded to eat the sandwich and ended up at the hospital after his ensuing allergic reaction. As The Wall Street Journal’s James Taranto quipped, “So apparently the ‘multiple preventive steps’ he took ‘to assure his food did not contain cheese’ did not include looking at the #@*& sandwich before eating it!” --The Patriot Post



Now, you would think I'd side with the plaintiff on this one. After all, I have food allergies, too. However, I'm siding with McD's. Why? Because I do have food allergies. I expect McDonald's to make a reasonable effort to keep allergens off my burgers when I request it, but the ultimate responsibility of what I put into my mouth rests squarely on my shoulders. If I eat without looking, and have a reaction, it's no one's fault but mine.

Now, I know it's been a while, but last time I ate at McDonald's, I had to ask for cheese.

4 comments:

Sus said...

Ooh, thanks for the close-up! That really is a nice pattern. Are the colors closer to true in the close up pic or the one from yesterday? I'm on such a brown and orange kick lately. Yay for awesome socks!

Buck said...

Absurd lawsuits, indeed. Making the plaintiff pay for court costs and the defendant's attorneys is justifiable and should be LAW when one of these money-grubbing idiots bring a suit like this.

Any attorney who takes a suit like this should be disbarred, too. We could give 'em "one strike" as a benefit of the doubt sorta thing, but after the second frivolous suit...BAM! No license.

Bag Blog said...

I agree with Buck. And I love the sock pattern.

My word verification is "scoke" - I almost thought it was "sock' for a moment there.

Becky G said...

Sus, it's really hard to say which picture is more color accurate. Neither of them is completely accurate, but I'd have to say the previous picture is closer.

Buck, that's a pretty good idea. Our courts are clogged up enough without these get-rich-quick schemers.

Lou, I see I've had an impact on your life as well! I'm loving Canada, by the way.