Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Karate Questions

One of my knitting buddies Tabitha sent me an e-mail asking a few questions about martial arts. With her permission, I thought I'd answer here.


Since you are a martial arts person, will you permit me to ask you some ignorant questions?

What is the difference between the different types of martial arts - karate, tae kwon do, etc. I am thinking of putting my kids (and maybe me) in martial arts classes for exercise. There is a Tae Kwon Do studio not far from my home and I was wondering if it would be a good thing for my family.

The main difference in the types of martial arts is their origin. Karate originated in Japan and Okinawa (which technically is part of Japan), tae kwan do and tang soo do originated in Korea, and kung fu, or gung fu as it is sometimes called, originated in China. There are other differences as well. Some styles are called soft arts--in that they emphasize redirecting the opponent's attack, and others are hard styles in that they emphasize blocking and countering--hitting back. Some styles emphasize kicking, while others use primarily hand techniques. The best suggestion I can make is to find out what styles are available in your area and research them. Find out which styles appeal to you best, and which might work best for your body type. Also, visit the schools in your area. Visit them more than once. Ask questions. Observe the class. Participate in a few classes if the instructor permits it. If the instructor will not allow you to visit or observe the class before signing up, run, don't walk to the nearest exit. If he requires you to sign a hefty contract up front, run, don't walk to the nearest exit. Note here that some good schools do require contracts. After all, they have overhead as well, and need to know that they can depend on your dues so that they can get their bills paid. Look over the contract carefully. If it is for a reasonable period of time--like a year or less, and you feel the rates charged are reasonable, go ahead and sign. If, however, the instructor wants you to sign a three year contract paying $2000-$3000 up front plus monthly dues--run, don't walk, to the nearest exit. Also, if they promise you a 2 year black belt, it is probably not a reputable school. Attaining black belt level takes years of hard work and dedication and simply cannot be truly earned in one or two years.

Also, observe the instructor. Is he patient? Is he fair? Does he encourage students to excel without pushing them to frustration? Does he emphasize self control, courtesy, and respect? Or does he scream at the students like a drill Sargent? Does he humiliate and belittle them? Does he emphasize fighting? Does he swagger around like he's got an overload of testosterone? Does he act like being tougher than the next guy is the only thing that matters? If so, run, don't walk, to the nearest exit. A good sensei will strongly emphasize that karate is for self defense only, and should never be used outside of class except in dire need.


1. Will my old joints be able to handle it? You and I are about the same age but the warranty expired on my joints when I turned [mfffbbermmm].

Only you can answer that. But I would still encourage you to try. I started training when I was 38. We have another student in my dojo who started when he was 53. My joints aren't the best either. I'm the one in class who usually sounds like Rice Krispies. A good sensei will allow you to work within your capabilities, and whatever physical limitations you may have. With continued training and effort your flexibility will increase and your muscles will grow stronger. Now, about Tae Kwan Do...this style places an emphasis on high, hard kicks. Personally, I don't know if I would have been able to train in TKD because of the kicking. Still, any instructor worth his salt will understand your physical limitations--such as age--and will work within them. If he is insisting that you get your kicks up above your head, and your flexibility just will not allow that, perhaps that is not the best school for you to be in.

2. Will I be able to keep my 6yo from "karate chopping" other kids? I am having flash backs to Sunday School classes during the Power Ranger phase. Do instructors make it abundantly clear that you don't just hit other kids for fun?

Yes. Good instructors will place a strong insistence on self control. They will make it abundantly clear that karate is for self defense only. We don't use our karate outside of class. Don't show off to your classmates at school (or church). Don't even tell anyone you are taking karate because then they will want to see some. Some instructors will even kick kids out of the dojo if they continually get into fights. If the instructor of any dojo reminds you more of the bad guy of The Karate Kid movies, run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.

3. Is there practice at home between lessons that requires specialized equipment?

Not at first. If you stick with it, however, you may eventually want to invest in a few things--a heavy bag for instance. Still, even though this is definitely a benefit, it is not a necessity. I don't have one. I wish I did...Also, later on, if your dojo trains with weapons, you will want to buy one of whatever you train with. Usually, though, you can get student weapons for not too much money. Sparring gear will also be required, and trust me, you don't want to spar without it. When you visit a school, ask the instructor what types of equipment is required. He should tell you straight away what all will be required. If he seems evasive--run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.

Karate is an excellent form of exercise. It is also a good way to learn self defense, and especially for girls, that cannot be emphasized enough in this day and age. Karate is also an excellent way to build confidence. Everyone who knows me says I am not the same person I was when I started. I am strong and capable now. Before I started training, my favorite phrase was, "I can't..." Now, I believe I can do anything.

Well, I hope I've answered some of your questions. I would also encourage you to look over some of my older posts and read through them. In my sidebar, there are some links to other martial arts blogs. Read some of them, and ask questions of them also. As always, if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Additional words to Tabitha, if I may add. I agree with what Becky has said here, especially about the business practices of that particular studio. I take taekwondo (an ATA school, if that makes a difference, as I know they are nationwide), and not only am a student and trainee instructor, but also work for my school as well, so I'm relatively well versed in the ways of the ATA. TKD does put a greater emphasis on kicking, BUT I can tell you as a person who has back problems and really bad knee problems, you can still do it. As Becky said, any good instructor will work with you if you have some limitations, not make them worse. The other thing with TKD is that there is not really any grappling or throws involved where you end up on the floor, like judo or aikido. Everything is upright. I wouldn't know how to take a throw, and I'm about to get my black belt! So, as B said, there are some differences in styles, but the basics are the same. If you have any TKD specific questions, feel free to contact me at windsornot at gmail dot com. :-)