Thursday, January 11, 2007

I Finished One!

I finished one of the WIPs from my Stashalong goals, and my very first pair of socks ever! They weren't as hard as I thought they'd be once I got used to the double pointed needles. I'd made some Fuzzy Feet a long time ago, since the pattern notes said it was good for first time sock knitters. At the time, I though the pattern was complicated and confusing, so I decided that socks just weren't for me. However, in reading knitting blogs, it seemed that everyone was having so much fun knitting socks that I really wanted to try them. My experience with Fuzzy Feet made the prospect daunting, until I read some comments on one blog. I don't remember where it was, but someone said that the pattern was not the best sock pattern, and despite what the designer said, it really wasn't good for a first time sock knitter. So I started thinking about trying again. I found a KAL just for first time sock knitters, which had a link to a wonderfully detailed online sock tutorial. I worked up the courage to try again, and here is the result:





A pair of socks knitted with 100% worsted weight wool on size 7 DPNs. Yeah, there are some boo boos, but I'll get them worked out eventually. My kitchenered toes didn't quite come out right, so I'll have to work on those as well. But they are socks, and they are done, and I did them! I've already got another pair cast on.


Now, that leads me to this update of my WIP list:


  • Prayer Shawl
  • Irish Hiking Scarf
  • Wavy Lace Shawl
  • Red Heart Strata Scarf
  • Branching Out Lace Scarf
  • Texas Longhorn Scarf
  • First Time Socks
  • Monthly dishcloths--two per month
  • Socks knitted from my Christmas yarn (two pair)
  • One screaming stash project


There's something that's been bugging me for a while. Niggling at the back of my mind. I couldn't quite pin it down. I knew it had something to do with this post, and more particularly, this statement I made:


While at Wal-mart, I spent some of my Christmas money and bought the newest version of Pride and Prejudice on DVD. Sigh...Darcy...Why don't they make men like that any more?


Well, it finally hit me. They don't make men like that any more because they didn't make men like that back then either. Darcy isn't real. He is an ideal, dreamed up in the mind of Jane Austin.

I give her credit, though, that Darcy is more realistic that those men portrayed in those silly romance novels. Those things have caused untold grief to countless husbands whose wives read the book. The men in those books don't act like real men. They don't think like men; they don't express themselves like men; they don't experience things with a man's perspective. But what to they act like? They act like some woman's idea of what a man ought to act like. In other words, they act like women. Then these women read those books and sigh and say, "What a wonderful man." And they look at the poor soul sitting next to them on the couch with the remote in his hand and think, "Why can't my husband be like that?"

I'll tell you why, sister. Because your husband is a real man, not some made up fantasy character. He's going to act like a real man, think like a real man, and express himself like a real man. The sooner you stop trying to make a woman out of him, the better of you'll both be.

But I digress...So what makes men like Darcy so appealing? Well, I think at least for me, it's the clothes. Let's compare, shall we?

Darcy:



Earl:So, I think the question I should have asked is, "Why don't men dress like that any more?" If only they realized how sexy they would be...

*

*

6 comments:

Buck said...

"Why don't men dress like that any more?"

Coz people would laugh at them! Hippies kinda sorta dressed like Darcy back in the day and looked pretty damned silly. I have photographic proof. :-)

Agree generally with your thoughts about "romance novel" men and the women who love them...

I had a female roomie once upon a time that read about 15 Harlequin novels a week, and I am NOT exaggerating. She and her Mom collected the things and Mom would send her a box of new books each week. Roomie would ensconce herself on the couch on Saturday mornings and read non-stop until the box was empty, moving only for necessary physical functions. Bizarre.

Perpetual Beginner said...

Good job with the socks - I knew you could do it! I like the look of the sock yarns you got in Jackson too.

My problem with a lot of the romance heros isn't so much that they don't behave like real men, but that often, when they do behave like real men, it's men that in real life you should stay far, far away from. Kidnapping, ravishing, and all sorts of other romance novel staples can give romance fans a really distorted idea of what a good couple should look like.

I haven't read Pride and Prejudice, so I can't comment on Darcy. I really should get around to reading my Jane Austen someday...

Tabitha said...

Congratulations on your first socks. They look great. Just completed my first pair a couple of week ago myself.

Bag Blog said...

Jesse and I got a real kick out of your post. When we saw the latest version of "P&P", we got so tickled when Darcy came walking out of the mist to meet with Elizabeth - the whole scene was just funny - romantic, but funny. I think I may have blogged about it. We sing the song, "I need a hero...", but where are they?

Becky G said...

Buck, I think most hippies looked pretty silly anyway.

My step-grandmother used to read all those romance novels, then she would pass them on to me. I read a few, but they all start to sound alike after a while.

Thank you Cindy. The second one was a lot easier than the first.

Tabitha, yes, I've been reading your posts on the KAL. Good job on yours as well.

Lou, I'd be interested in hearing what about the scene you thought was funny.

Where are the heroes? That's the subject of another whole post...maybe I'll get around to it someday.

Bag Blog said...

Jesse and I were having sort of a girls night watching P&P. That scene was just so "set up". Both E and Mr. D just happen to be out walking at dawn in the rain. Slo-mo, wind blowing their hair and clothes... very romantic, but we got tickled intstead.

As for the "heroes" - everyone has a different idea of a hero. I guess I am talking about a man of integrity who will stand up for what he believes in - walk out an example for others - step up to the plate and take a swing - and more. I am not just talking about war heroes, although I think those young men are heroes of a sort. I am talking about men who are godly men - the young single ones are few and far between. You are right, that is the subject for a whole other post.