Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I Love Eggs!

but eggs don't love me! It seems egg commercials are everywhere these days. Or maybe I'm just noticing them more. I think I could live on eggs, if I weren't allergic to them. Sigh...and my search for fake eggs continues...

Meanwhile, for the
I present an egg, drawn from imagination. I wanted a simple shape so I could work on shading a bit. I can see now some things I would have changed if I'd had time. But the end of break buzzer went off, so I had to stop.



While we are on the subject, here is yesterday's sketch, my tape measure. I had a hard time with the shadow under this one because we have multiple light sources in there. They cast multiple shadows. I finally had to just pick one and go for it.

I used to post my daily sketches on a drawing forum, but they just didn't seem to get what I was trying to do. Line sketches, with a little bit of shading if time permits, done in 10-15 minutes. Without fail, every time I posted a sketch, someone (or multiple someones) would tell me I needed to add more detail, or more shading, or work more on my background, or rework my perspective, or this, or that, or the other...As many times as I tried to explain--quickly drawn line sketches--they just didn't seem to get it. I finally quit posting my sketches, and eventually quit visiting that forum. I don't even miss it.
There is a lady I work with who seems determined to get me married off. We were talking about this man who also works there, but he's in the front office. I don't know what his job actually is. I don't think anybody does. Come to think of it, I don't think he really even has a real job. He's just there. He has been a supervisor in the past, as well as filling in when we were between Operation Superintendents. (We seem to go through those like water.)
Susan and I were talking about how our co-workers can act like totally different people outside the work environment. She mentioned this guy--John--and how she'd gone to a party given by his hunting club. She said that at the party, he was really, really nice. I remarked that, yeah, I liked John, as long as I didn't have to work for him.
Susan then said, "He would be a good man for you, if you could get past the weight thing*." (John is very overweight.)
I replied, "No, I like him as a friend, but I'm just not attracted to him that way. Besides that, he's been married and divorced four times." In other words, he doesn't have a good track record. She responded that no, she thought it was only three. Uh, three failed marriages still isn't a good resume. I then stated that besides being married and divorced four (or is it three?) times, I'd heard he was abusive to his wives.
She said, "I hadn't heard that, but I've heard that he is real mean to his wives."
DUH!!!! Isn't that was abusive means? Not all abuse is physical, and a man doesn't have to hit you to be abusing you. There is also verbal, mental, and emotional abuse. Being mean qualifies as abuse in my book.
Susan then told me that the reason he got divorced this last time was because his wife went to Wal-mart and bought something for her daughter. He got into her face, yelling and cursing, saying she had no right to spend his money on her daughter. Yeah, she said, she'd heard he was mean to them, but he doesn't hit them. Then she looked at me and said,
"But I think you could handle it, anyway."
Excuse me???? I could handle it???? I'm not going to handle it, even if I could. I shouldn't have to put up with abuse just because I "could handle it", and I'm not going to. I'll stay single the rest of my life before I'll get involved with someone known to be abusive.
Sheesh.
So here is this friend of mine, recommending a man who uses food as his drug of choice, has been divorced four (or three) times, and is abusive (or maybe just mean) to his wives as a "good man". Does she really see a man like that as a good man? I think I now know why she seems so bitter.
*The Weight Thing: Susan is attracted to overweight men. I'm not talking about basically fit guys with a bit of a spare tire or belly. She likes them fat. Really fat. She once pointed out a man that she thought was attractive. She said he had a nice build. The guy was about 5'10" and pushing, if not exceeding, 300 lbs. Heck, Peyton Manning is 6'5" and he doesn't even weigh 300 lbs. At least, not according to that phone commercial thing he does. Susan thinks the body types I'm attracted to are too skinny. I don't like men to be skin and bones, but I just don't find obese men to be attractive. So, according to Susan, I have hangups about men's weight.
*
*

4 comments:

Sus said...

Um... Wow. This chick has problems. I don't even know what to say. Other than, obviously, never listen to a word she says, ever. But you already knew that. Wow.

Bag Blog said...

Funny how people get all bent out of shape over details in a drawing or painting! Value/tone is what really makes art interesting. Your drawings of simple things where you work on shading is the way to go. Don't sweat the details :)

Hold out for a hero.

Buck said...

Besides that, he's been married and divorced four times." In other words, he doesn't have a good track record.

"Doesn't have a good track record" is an understatement of massive proportions, even if one doesn't consider the abusive aspects of this guy's character. I think a person's past is a pretty danged good indicator of future performance. Two failures would be my absolute limit in considering a future partner. Were I considering such. :-)

You are a wise woman, Becky.

Oh yeah: God Save Us from "friends" who want to marry us off. Just sayin'.

Becky G said...

Sus, yes, she does have problems. She is a good friend, but not so good at picking out husbands, either for me or for herself. I'll do my own matchmaking, thank you ma'am.

Lou, you are so right. Beats me why total strangers will get so upset at something I drew. It's all for practice anyway. I'm happy with it, why shouldn't they be?

And, yes. I will take your advice and hold out for a hero.

Buck, God save me from my matchmakers! Reference today's post...

You are a wise woman, Becky.

Thank you. This means a lot to me. :-)