Wednesday, January 10, 2007

More From Angie

Here are a couple more e-mails from Angie in Germany:

January 8, 2007

Hallo from Germany....

I haven't gotten the information from Dayna yet on the phone calls, but she said it's actually 3 cents per minute. I do have an address. Mailing anything to me would be the same as mailing it to the US. Here's my address:

SMSgt Angela (deleted to protect privacy)

I bought a really cool t-shirt. It says "Did you just ausfahrt?" Gonna wear that one home!!!

I haven't really slept slept yet. I took two Excedrin PM last night and slept for about 1 to 2 hours. I woke up at 12 p.m. and someone was banging a suitcase up the stairs next to my room. Then there were a bunch of guys hanging around outside my window smoking (it's the entrance to the building). After an hour and 15 minutes 0115 this morning, I finally opened the window and asked them to talk somewhere else. I didn't fall asleep again until about 4 this morning. My wake up call was at 0530. I don't feel like I'm sleep deprived yet. I worked yesterday until about 7 pm. We had three patients--one with palpitations, one with kidney stones, and one was a psych patient. I hadn't eaten all day and was starving. The DFAC (dining facility) was closed so I walked to the LCC (Landstuhl Community Center) only to find out that the kitchen was closed because the cook didn't show up. I got back to my room at 8:30 and if I ordered something to be delivered, it would take them about an hour. There was only cereal in my room, so I had that for dinner. We're going to the commissary this afternoon after my briefing. There will be some kind of food in my room. I have a full-sized refrigerator/freezer and may be working some funky hours.

Tomorrow we have one patient coming in. This one is a battlefield injury, but I don't know what. I hate to see people injured, in pain, or sick, but it is a terrific feeling to be able to help them. I'm having a wonderful time so far. Although, I've been here since Friday and haven't even smelled a beer. Gotta put that on my list of things to do.

Love you all!!!

Angie


January 9, 2007

I realize that there are many of you out there that were very concerned about me being here so long without a beer. Please don't worry. I took care of that problem last night. Four of us went down to the LCC and drank beer. Don't ask me what the name of it was because it was German. I don't even think I tried to pronounce it, but it was good. Now the next problem is sleep. I'm hoping that I can take care of that problem tonight. I'd like to have a nap right now, but I'll make myself stay awake. We're going bowling tonight. That should be good fun It's $1 per game at Ramstein tonight....or perhaps it's at Vogelweh. Anyway, I'll be at one of those bowling alleys if you need me.

For those of you who liked the t-shirt saying "Did you just ausfahrt?" but didn't know what that means--ausfarht means exit. There are signs posted for you to exit the autobahn. Which leads me to the next thing I did today. I went to get my driver's permit. There I was driving the Mercedes on the autobahn--can't remember how fast I was going because I didn't take my eyes off the road. You'd have been so proud of me. We made it here in one piece. By the way, that Mercedes isn't sleek; it's a 9-passenger van, it just sounded good.

We ended up not having any patients today. Three flights are coming in, but none are Air Force patients. I went to get my army e-mail address set up and now I'm going back to my room.

Love you all. I'll write more when it gets exciting.

Angie

No comments: