Friday, January 19, 2007

Ack!

I was almost finished with my sock. I'd followed the pattern exactly. Well, almost exactly. I actually knitted the cuff shorter than the pattern called for, but horror of horrors, I still ran out of yarn! I thought maybe I'd just seam the toe up where it was, but it is too short for my huge foot. Sigh. I'll have to rip it out and start over, knitting the cuff even shorter this time. Maybe that's why those balls were on clearance in the first place. Here is the progress I had made...


And here are today's dishcloth rows:

Oh, and the other pair of socks I had started--the ones I was doing using the two circulars method--I discovered a mistake way back on the second row. I had inadvertently turned the sock around and started knitting the opposite direction. I tried to drop down and see if I could correct, or at least hide, the mistake, but I couldn't. So I ripped them out, too. When I cast on again, instead of using the plain old, boring undyed yarn, I cast on with one of the balls I'd bought on my trip to Jackson last week. I"m anxious to see how that turned out.



For the sketch of the day, I got kind of tired of doing tomatoes, so I did my soft drink bottle.

Last night, sensei showed us a tape of Sensei Advincula explaining sanchin kata. On the tape, Sensei Advincula was showing how Master Shimabuku tested their sanchin, and why he did what he did. Each test had a specific purpose, and tested a specific thing. It seemed a whole lot better than the random beating they gave me in Greenwood. Anyway, one of the points Master Shimabuku tested was the tension in the buttocks. Sensei said he wasn't going to grab anyone's buttocks, so he designated me the Official Buttocks Tester.

I quit taking my Allegra yesterday, and got the first halfway decent night's sleep I've had in a week. Funny thing is, I dreamed about a guy I'd gone to high school with. His name is David Rice, and he seemed to have it all. He was good looking, football player, smart and a general all around likable guy. I really liked him--not in the I have a crush sense, but I just liked him. I think because he was always nice to me. Not the condescending pat-the-puppy-on-the-head kind of nice, either. He was really and truly nice. That's just the kind of guy David was.

I lost touch with him after graduation, but you know what? I'll bet he is someone's hero now.

*

6 comments:

Sus said...

Oh, I'm sorry you've had to frog so much! How frustrating! I hope things go smoothly this time.

Buck said...

...so he designated me the Official Buttocks Tester.

Hey! That sounds like something I could do! But I'm gender-specific, tho... :-)

Becky G said...

Sus, thank you. I almost cried when I realized I'd have to frog so much. You'd think they'd put enough yarn in a ball of sock yarn to make a sock...

Buck, I'm gender specific as well. I'm at a bit of an advantage being the only one of my gender in the class, though! *evil snicker*

Bag Blog said...

The buttocks tester interests me too as did the "tension in the buttocks". Is that a good thing or a bad thing? How much tension are you looking for?

The sketches and knitting seem to be going well. How many people really look at the toe of your sock? I love the colors.

Becky G said...

Lou, the kata I was referring to is our tensing form. The muscles are supposed to be tense when you are tested. So, proper tension is a good thing. How much tension? As much as you can get. Now, the chances that I will actually be testing someone's buttocks is virtually nil.

As for the sock, the problem was not the appearance of the sock, but that I didn't have enough yarn left to make it long enough to fit my foot. I think people would notice if my bare toes were hanging out the end of it. :)

Bag Blog said...

LOL! Not if you keep your shoes on :)