Monday, March 30, 2020

I Need A Hazmat Suit

We had some pretty wicked storms blow through here Saturday night -- the same system that dropped that tornado in Jonesboro, Arkansas.  The town just up the road a ways got some pretty good sized hail, but we didn't get either, here.

What we got was thunder.  Lots of thunder.  Loud thunder.  A couple of them thunderclaps were so loud, I jumped right out of the bed.  In the end, despite the noise, the storms passed without incident.

Or so I thought...

Along about 2:00 yesterday afternoon, the electricity went out here on the road.  Not long after, I saw an electricity truck head down the road.  Followed by the tree removal guy.  And another electricity truck.  Followed by a truck with a brand new utility pole. 

Now, I didn't go down there and see what was going on, but what I surmise happened is as follows.  The storm weakened a tree, which eventually fell over and knocked down the pole.  The power company quickly -- well, relatively -- got the power restored.  In the intervening time, I got out and worked some in the yard. 

I've been trying to clear out my back fence line from all the junk the previous owners let grow up through it.  I've been working on this for a while, and have almost got it completely cleaned up.  This however, has given me pause.


 It looks like a nice, ordinary little tree, doesn't it?  But take a gander at the leaves:



I've never seen a poison ivy tree, but that's sure what it looks like to me.  Given how sensitive I am to poison ivy, I don't want to take any chances with it.  I'd need a hazmat suit, and I have a feeling they'd be in short supply these days.

I decided to leave that one for the time being. 


I have this one coworker...she has a good heart and means well, but she has absolutely no filter whatsoever.    One day last week, just before lunch time, she blurted out, "I'm so hungry, I could eat a barrel of boogers!"    As if that weren't enough, she made up a cute little song to go with it.

I'm so hungry!
I could eat a barrel of boogers
With snot!

And finally, to end this post with some good news, the FDA has approved the use of the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID -19.  And it appears the spread is beginning to slow

Yeah, we've still got a long row to hoe, but at least we are beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel. 






No comments: