Monday, March 09, 2020

Ugh...

It seems the older I get, the tougher these time changes become.  All I wanted to do all day is to sleep.  But I couldn't.  We had 4 brazers out again today, and I know three of the four are going to be out all week.  I'd had some vacation scheduled for this week, but I decided to show Group Leader Shark some pity, and I cancelled it.  Well, all but one day.  My car has been nagging me for an oil change, so I kept that one day to go and do that.

While we're on the subject, they've got a new way to put in vacation time.  You have to submit your days through the new computer system they recently installed.  I don't like it.  I talked to one of the supervisors today about my frustrations, and he said he didn't like it, either.  Part of the problem is they just stuck it out there and didn't even show anyone how to use it.  I guess they thought we'd figure it out for ourselves.  Eventually, enough people complained that they put up written instructions near The Boxes, but gee, couldn't you have done that before? 

What I don't like about it is, you can't look at the calendar and see where your scheduled days are.  I don't mind submitting my day off requests through The Box, but I want to be able to print out a list of all my days that have been approved, and how many days I have left to schedule -- like I used to be able to under the old system.  Not having a printout of my days feels too much like flying blind to me.  And if there's one thing an INTJ does not like, it's flying blind.

Anyway, my Supervisor and I had to do a bit of a song and dance to get my days off cancelled.  He pushed the wrong button, then had to call HR to fix it, and when I checked 30 minutes before the end of the shift, it still showed my vacation days in there.  I asked Supervisor, and he said just come on in tomorrow, and we'll get things worked out then. 

Recently, the county came and dug out our ditches along this road.  No big deal, except that the next time it rained, half my yard slid off into the ditch.  Last weekend, when I was at the store, I bought some of this edging stuff and hammered it into place. 


Eventually, I hope to get enough to span the whole yard, then I'll start building up the dirt behind it.  Part of the problem is the county sprays poison in the ditches a couple of times a year.  That kills the grass, and without any roots to hold the dirt into place, there's nothing to stop the erosion.

I didn't have this trouble before I moved into this house.  I have a sneaking suspicion someone on the road is calling them out to come do all this.  And I have a sneaking suspicion I know who it is.

Yesterday afternoon, I got out and mowed my yard.  I was going to say cut my grass, but at this point, it's all weeds.  It's supposed to rain off and on all week, so I figured I'd better do it while my yard was reasonably un-squishy.  While I was out there, I noticed my roses were leafing out again.


I thought I'd killed them last summer by cutting them back too hard, but yay, signs of life!  There is still a lot of dead parts I need to get out of there, and I was going to get started...then I noticed this:


Can you see it?  Right there in the middle.  See it?  It's a bird nest.  That brought all my plans to a screeching halt.  I tried to get a picture of the nervous mama bird, but she was too flighty.

It's a mockingbird, by the way.   State bird of Texas.  Just a little bit of home in my back yard. 

OK, it's the state bird of Mississippi, too, but that's not the point here. 

Moving right along...

Last week, I got my tax return, and went on a little bit of a spending spree.  The items I bought on said spree have begun arriving.  First up, this lovely stationery.


It has matching envelopes, as well, but I don't like them.  They're lovely envelopes, but they open on the ends instead of along the top.  They'll mail all right, but it just seems odd. I also bought some more washi tape. 


I'd never even heard of washi tape until I began finding pen pals on the Global Penfriends website.  A couple of them mentioned it, and several of them use it.  I got some at Walmart several weeks ago, but their selection is very limited.

Amazon to the rescue! 

They had almost too much of a selection, and it was hard for me to choose.  I suspect there will be more in my future. 

In the meantime, anybody want a pen pal? 










No comments: