Thursday, March 19, 2020

Quarantine

It has finally happened!  I am finally quarantined -- well, until Monday at least.  That's right.  The plant gave us -- all of us -- the whole weekend off.  I can finally join the rest of you hanging out at home, binge watching your favorite shows...

In other words, a normal weekend for me.

I will have to venture out sometime and try to find a few necessities, like milk and dog food.  Other than that, I'm set.  On top of that, it's supposed to storm this weekend, too.


Today at work, they handed out a memo outlining company procedures for this time.


It's basically the same thing as what the other memo I saw said.  You'll get sick pay with a positive test.  You can take leave to care for a family member, etc, etc.

At the end of the day, one of the safety guys and one of the HR guys came out and had a short meeting with us, to go over the memo, and make sure everyone understood what was going on.

First thing they said is that there have been no confirmed cases among company employees as of yet.  They said policy will be, if you feel bad, you are to go to the first aid office.  If you have a fever, they will send you home, and you will need to be cleared by a doctor to return to work.  If you do have a positive coronavirus test, the company will pay you two week's paid sick leave.  If you do not, or if you want to take time off to care for a family member, use your vacation, or take unpaid leave.

That's when it started...

"What if I have a fever, but it's something else?  Do I still get paid?"

"What if I have a fever but it turns out to be the flu.  Can I come back to work?"

"I have sinus trouble that sometimes causes fever.  Are you still going to make me leave?"

"What about me?  I have sinus, but it doesn't cause a fever.  Will you send me home, too?"

"Are you going to give us all masks?  Why not?  You're supposed to!"  

"How are you going to know who has a fever?  Are you going to check every employee before they come into the plant?"

Before it was all over, I was pleading, "Coronavirus, take me now!!!"


Of course we need to take the whole thing seriously, but the level of absolute hysteria around this thing is mind boggling.  I've got one coworker who has worked herself into such a frenzied state, I'm actually worried she's going to give herself a stroke before the coronavirus ever gets to her.

And seriously, folks, what are you going to do with 5000 rolls of toilet paper anyway?





No comments: