Thursday, March 12, 2020

My Day Off

I'd originally taken the whole week off this week, but when my plans changed, I cancelled all my days but today.  My car has been nagging me for a while to get it's oil changed, so I kept a day to get that done.  I woke up at my normal 3:30, so I wouldn't mess up my sleep cycles, and after spending a lazy morning watching Jamestown on Prime, I got dressed and drove said car into Wally World.

I figured I'd go ahead and do my shopping while I was there.  It was a Thursday morning.  I didn't think the place would be too crowded on a Thursday morning.

It wasn't the first time I've been wrong.

Oh, it wasn't Friday evening crowded, but it was more crowded than I expected it to be.  I got my car checked in, then went to find the items on my shopping list, which wasn't very long.  On a whim, I went down the toilet paper aisle, and found ... a run.


Everyone was grabbing that toilet paper like it was going out of style.  Some of them were getting three and four packs of it.  Of course, you know me.  My first thought was to walk up behind them and start coughing.  He he he...I'll bet that would have made them scatter.  But seriously, people?  The symptoms are a dry cough and fever.  Why are you hoarding toilet paper?

Me, I'm hoarding Vienna sausages.


Which reminds me, next time I go, I might ought to pick up a case or two of bottled water.  It is almost hurricane season, you know.

After I finished my business, I came home and filled up my squirrel feeder.


I need to keep them fat, because if things keep going the way they are, I might have to eat them.

While I was waiting for my car to be done, I ran into the restroom.  A lady came in talking on her phone.  She was in an absolute blind panic because someone told her that Trump had just announced he was shutting down all the stores all across the U.S.  She was calling all her friends telling them to get into Walmart and buy all the food and stuff they can get.

Oh, my lord!  People have absolutely lost their friggin minds!  He never said he was going to shut down all the stores!  What he said is he was shutting down travel to and from Europe -- having shut down travel to and from Asia a while back -- except for the U.K.  This kind of crap is how panic spreads even faster than the virus.

Just by happenstance, before I went into town, I watched a video put out by That Awesome Hunk Of Pure Awesomeness Who Used To Be My Imaginary Boyfriend Before He Got Married To Someone Who Is Not Me Bill Whittle (I think he needs to legally change his name to that, don't you?) and ...ummm...Steve and Scott.  It's a bit longer than what they normally do, but I think it needs to be watched and shared.



On a completely unrelated note, I picked up another item for my bug out bag.


I took it out back and tried it out on some of that privet I'm trying to cut out of my back fence.  It cuts, but it's a lot of work.  It'll do in an emergency, though, and that's what I got it for.

Oh, and I was lucky to find these:


They're for when I'm cutting grass. In case you didn't know, I'm very allergic to grass.  Last week when I was mowing, I was absolutely gasping for breath because all y'all panicky people done bought up all the pollen masks.

Which won't protect against the corona virus, but will help me live through mowing!

Now, I've got to get to bed.  Since the lines are off tomorrow, and we're working a short shift, I figured I'd go in and get a little bit of overtime.    I told Group Leader Shark, "I'm coming back Friday, so don't give my stand away!"

No comments: