Wednesday, April 01, 2020

An April Fool

There I was at work, just a working away, when I heard a commotion in the plant. 

This isn't unusual, as there are often commotions in the plant, but there was something different about this one.  Soon, the shouts began, "Corona virus!  Corona virus in the plant!  There's corona virus in the plant!  They need to tell us who it is!  How are we going to know if we've been exposed if they don't tell us who it is!"

One coworker jumped on the bike, determined to find out what was going on.  Before too long, the story came out.  We do not have corona virus in the plant.  At least not that we know of.  If we did, I doubt they'd tell us anyway.  What had happened is as follows:

Seems one of my coworkers decided it would be a really funny April fool prank to post that she had corona virus on her Facebook status.  Of course, once she got to work, and people started freaking out over it, it turned out not to be so funny after all.  The powers that be didn't think it was funny, either.  They promptly relieved her of her position. 

As a coworker said, "She thought she'd play a prank, but now she's the April fool, because she doesn't have a job any more." 

Another coworker said, "Why wouldn't she even do that?  They ain't playing with this stuff!"  She's not the first person, either.  A couple of weeks ago a boy went around telling people he had tested positive, and they fired him, too.  Seriously, they are not playing around with this! 

After a while, things settled down and we all got back to work.  Wheeeeen, I saw my Supervisor running up the aisle.  "What has happened now?" I asked. 

Except I spoke in the vernacular, but if I printed it here, that kind of grammar would give me the hives.  Kind of like some of the posts in the local Facebook group...

Back to my story...where was I?  Supervisor running up the aisle.  Me asking what happened...oh, yes. 

"The autobrazer is on fire,"  my coworker answered.  Which is really funny, because I'd been standing there watching the flames.  "Those are some really big flames," I'd just been saying to myself.  Why I didn't make the connection between the flaming autobrazer and the supervisor running is beyond me.

I blame sleep deprivation.

He emptied three, yes three, count 'em three fire extinguishers before he got the fire out.  By that time, the entire front of the plant was filled with a dense cloud of whatever was in them.  Our eyes were stinging, our lungs were burning, and all of us were coughing our heads off.  I could even feel it coating my skin.  I sure hope the stuff wasn't toxic.

The person who works beside me said, "If only [The Boss Who Must Not Be Named] were up here.  He'd fix everything."  About 10 ish minutes later, TBWMNBN came, and she said, "[TBWMNBM] is here.  I feel so much better now.  He makes everything all right." 

Me, I was perfectly confident in Supervisor's ability to handle things.  He was a Navy chief, after all. 

After all that excitement, I was thinking, "Ooo da lolly!  How are we supposed to work now?"  But once more, things settled down, and the rest of the day passed without incident....until the rumors started.  And what was that rumor?  It was that the entire country is going on a 72 hour lockdown -- but that's just what people were hearing, and didn't know if it was true, but thought they'd spread it anyway, just in case.   I said, "Probably not!  That doesn't even make sense!"  Once the work day ended and I could check on things, I found the reality is our state governor has issued an official Shelter In Place order.

It really won't be any different that what we've been doing.  We can still go to work, or to buy groceries, or to the bank, or even to eat out -- we just have to go through the drive through, or get curbside service.  We've been doing that for the last two weeks.  He just wrote it down and made it official.  It takes effect at 5:00 PM Friday. 

My friend said, "Make sure you have enough dog food!"  Funny thing...Rylea has always had a bit of a weight problem.  I kept her on Pedigree weight management dog food for ages.  About a year ago, Walmart stopped carrying it.  I checked some of the other local stores, and they didn't have it either. 

Over the last year, I've seen Ry getting fatter and fatter.  Finally, it occurred to me to check Amazon.  Yes!  They have it!  And they have it on Subscribe & Save.  I set up a subscription for two bags to be delivered on the first of every month.  And here they are. 


By the way, I set it up before all the COVID panic started.  I was concerned that my other bag of dog food wouldn't last until it got here, but it did.  I had even bought a spare bag, just as a precaution, but I didn't even have to open it.  So, except for milk and bananas, I should be set to stay home for a while. 

And finally, there has been knitting.


Plain stockinette hat in Cascade 220.  I have a feeling when this is all over, charities will need all the help they can get. 





No comments: