Saturday, June 14, 2014

Rainy Season

I think it may finally be over.

Rainy season.

I think it may finally be over, and not a moment too soon. My poor flower bed is drowned.  One of my petunias is dead, and the other looks to be in pretty bad shape.


My celosias are struggling, and one has completely died.  I've got a couple more that don't look like they're going to make it. 


My dwarf African marigolds are struggling, too, and two of them look as if they're on their last legs.  So, in a couple of weeks, if it stays dry for a while, I'm going to start replacing the things that have died.  I went into the garden center at Wal-mart yesterday to see if they still had plants.  I hadn't intended to buy anything yet, but these two jumped into my cart.


That is a zinnia sizzle on the left, and a lantana on the right.  I'm going to put the lantana in place of the celoisa that has died.  I'd planned on putting the zinnia here, to replace this Gerbera Daisy that appears to be on its last legs.


It's only got one lonely little leaf left, but I hate to pull it up while there is even the slightest chance that it may come back.  That is my conundrum.  Do I wait and see if it revives once the rain stops and the hot, dry season sets in?  Or do I go ahead and put it out of its misery?  Hmmm, I'll give it a week or two, and if it doesn't pick up, I'll replace it with something else.

On the other hand, my Cardinal Creepers are thriving.


I couple of them have reached the top of the trellis, and I'm having to train them to grow sideways.  No flowers yet, but I expect they'll start blooming in a week or two.  I hope.

My bluebonnets are also doing well.  They're getting bigger and bigger. 



As for my wildflower bed, these are the only things blooming in there. 


They re-seeded from last year, and as far as I'm concerned, they can take over the whole bed.  By the end of the summer, I'm going to rip out everything that isn't blooming and just buy stuff to plant in the empty spots.  I don't know if the long winter, or late rainy season has kept stuff from growing in this bed, but none of the seeds I planted seem to be showing any signs of life.  That's just the way it is sometimes. 

We're at the mercy of the weather. 

No comments: