Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I Gave Up

What with all the rain we've had these last few weeks, this week has been so hot and dry that I actually had to water my flower bed.  Yeah, but it was good because it gave me a chance to put some Miracle Grow on them.  It perked things right up.

But all the heavy rains did take a toll.  My poor petunias are dead.
 

 And my poor Gerbera Daisies were fading almost as fast.  I finally made the executive decision to replace them with something more suited to this area.   I also decided to pull up the non-flowering junk out of my wildflower bed and put some random zinnias and marigolds in there to fill up the empty spaces.  If you remember, I hadn't planted the wildflower side.  I wanted to see if anything re-seeded from last year.  All I got were two Black Eyed Susans, and a bunch of weeds and grass. 

After work, I went to Wal-mart to see what they had left in their garden center.   I picked up two Lantanas.  They both looked like this one:


I'd actually had one of the Lantanas I'd planted a couple of months ago die, so I wanted to replace it.  I put the other Lantana and four more Zinnia Swizzles where my Gerbera Daisies were. 


The plant in the middle left is the only Gerbera Daisy that looks like it has any life left in it, so I left it.  When I pulled up the others, I knew I'd made the right decision.  The root systems were completely gone.  Rotted away in the wet soil.  If I get any next year, I'll keep them in planters so I can bring them inside during the rainy season if I need to.

I really like these Swizzle Zinnias.  Aren't they pretty? 


Actually, I've never met a zinnia I didn't like.

Well, I'd planned on getting more Profusion Zinnias and Dwarf African Marigolds, but it was a sad, sad day for them.


I can't understand why a store would let it's inventory just die like that.  Needless to say, I didn't come home with any.  I'm considering running up to Batesville Saturday after work to see if their Wal-mart or Lowe's has any. Depends on how tired I am. 

Now for some good news.  If you are an Amazon Prime member, they've made thousands of songs free for subscribers!  I've been downloading the heck out of some Trans Siberian Orchestra.  Now I'll have something to listen to while I work on my Christmas cross stitch. 

As soon as I figure out how to make playlists. 

No comments: