Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Chats On The Farmhouse Porch

It's Tuesday again, and that means it's time for another chat on the porch.  Since it's so hot today-- 92' with a heat index of 101'-- we'll skip the coffee and get some lemonade instead.

We'll also sit in the shade.  Definitely in the shade.


Everyday Ruralty


Here are this week's questions. 

Questions
  1. How many times a week do you have a green or veggie salad?
  2. Do you pray? (You may skip this if you do not wish to answer.)
  3. What season is your birthday? You do not need to give us the date.
  4. Do you have dinner guests often, every now and then or not at all? Wendell says he can be there for dinner as quick as a wink!
  5. Could you describe yourself as a DIY- Do It Yourselfer?
And here are the answers:

1.  I'm so not a salad person!  I rarely eat salad, and when I do, it's Beverly's broccoli Salad.  And since I know someone is going to ask, here is the recipe:

2-3 bunches fresh broccoli, florets only, cut into bite sized pieces
1 lb bacon, cooked, cooled, and crumbled
1 purple onion, chopped
1 lb cheddar cheese, grated

Dressing:

Mayonnaise (since I'm allergic to eggs, we just substitute vegetable oil, usually canola)
Vinegar
sugar

We don't measure.  We just put some mayo in a bowl and add the vinegar until it is the right consistency, and add sugar until it tastes right.

Mix it all together in a large bowl, and top with the dressing.

2.  Yes, I do, but not in the way most people think of praying.  I'm so not a gregarious person, so the "traditional" idea of prayer --sitting down and yammering at God for an hour or so-- is almost impossible for me to do.  My prayers are mostly a sentence or two here and there throughout the day--and almost never out loud.  Sometimes, I imagine Jesus physically standing (or sitting) beside me, and I talk to him that way.  And you know, it's OK to be quiet and listen when you pray.  Most of us need to do more listening. 

Another thing, I find the way people talk to God, well if they talked to another person that way, they'd probably be committed.  Our youth pastor, and I'm not kidding, says "Lord" at least 3 times in every single sentence that he prays.  As in "Lord, we just Lord come before you Lord to Lord, thank you Lord for Lord this beautiful day, Lord"  I'm NOT joking.  He really does that. Can you imagine talking to oh, say Bob, and doing that.  "Bob, how are, Bob, you Bob, today Bob?  Bob, have you, Bob, got any milk, Bob, that I, Bob, can borrow, Bob?"  I tell ya, Bob would send me to the funny farm.

3.  Autumn.  I'm a November baby, born on Veteran's Day. 

4.  I never have dinner guests.  I don't like people in my house.  Not even family.  Really.  When we do have dinners, we do it at Beverly and James' house.  They actually have a dining room, with a table, whereas I eat in front of the TV in my recliner.

5.  I used to be a DIYer, but I'm getting to the point right now where I'd just rather pay someone to do whatever I want done. 

That's it for this week's chat. Please leave your glasses on the table and I'll clean up later. 

Be sure and join us next week, and pop on over to Patrice's blog to make the rounds.  (Link is in my side bar -- Everyday Rurality)

3 comments:

Breathing In Grace said...

Love your answer about prayer. I'm one of those who need to listen more!!! HOPE the rest of your week is great!

Leslie said...

I think it's called 'praying without ceasing' and that's a good thing. I find it funny to hear the Lord's name used as a comma.
Thanks for the lemonade.

Patrice said...

I agree with you about listening more. Sounds like a good broccoli salad.