Saturday, December 05, 2009

Brrr!

Woke up this morning and it was COLD! It got down to 24', but we never got any snow. It seems like it snowed everywhere but here. I wanted nothing more than to stay home and knit, but Cody had spent the night with a friend, and I needed to take this opportunity to get some Christmas shopping done. So I braved the cold and the crowds and went to Wal-mart. I got Cody's main present, and a few other things, so my Christmas shopping is mostly done.

The Christmas knitting is also coming along nicely. I did have to rip back to the beginning because I found, not really a mistake, but I just didn't like the way it looked. Fortunately, I hadn't gotten very far, and I'm already back to where I was when I frogged it.

A Christmas tradition started by my father many many years ago is to buy a new family ornament every year. This is this year's ornament.


Even though our tree is up, we don't have any presents under it. They are here:

You will also notice that our stockings are hanging all the way up by the ceiling.


And this is why:


Remember, he only looks sweet and innocent.

I spent the rest of the day watching football. Alabama won the SEC championship by putting a pretty good smackdown on Florida 32-13. Tebow cried just like he does every time he loses a game.

Then I watched the Texas - Nebraska game. Boy what a nailbiter that one was! Both offenses struggled for most of the game. Finally, Nebraska scored the go ahead field goal with just under two minutes left in the game. They thought they'd won, but I guess they forgot they were playing against Colt McCoy. A penalty on the kickoff put Texas starting position at the 40. A big gain by wide receiver Jordan Shipley, plus a horse collar penalty put Texas in field goal range. Three incomplete passes later, there was no time left on the clock. Nebraska again thought they'd won, but the replay showed clearly that when Colt McCoy's last pass bounced on the ground, there was one second left in the game. Mack Brown ran the field goal unit out there (Hear that, Les Miles?), and Hunter Lawrence became the hero of the game when he booted a 46 yarder to put Texas up 13-12.

(Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

Colt McCoy now has 45 wins in his career, and a championship title. He doesn't have a Heisman and with this performance, he's not likely to get one, either. You can't blame him, though. Nebraska's defense ran through the offensive line like it wasn't even there. They're going to have to protect him a whole lot better if they think they're going to have a chance against Alabama.

Is this going to be a first? Two undefeated teams playing for the National Championship? That's going to be interesting to watch. Still, the game isn't until January, so until then, here is your second to last

Gratuitous Colt McCoy photo:

(Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

I'm too keyed up to sleep right now, but that's probably a good thing, since I have a huge pile of junk on my bed. I'd better go clean it off, now, and maybe by the time I'm done, I'll be tired.

And I've got Cowboys/Giants to deal with tomorrow, too. Whew!

3 comments:

Patch said...

Haha, Jake you naughty boy, step AWAY from the Christmas decs and pressies!! ;)

Did Squeaky ever try to climb the tree, even when she was young?

Opal said...

i love the placement of your stockings! that gave me quite a chuckle. :)

i also love the stocking on the right. but the stocking on the left? that's just wrong. :P

Becky G said...

Patch, he really hasn't messed with the tree after that first few sniffs. The presents are up high, just as a preventative measure.

No, Squeaky never tried to climb the tree. I had another cat who did, but it wasn't her.

Opal, thanks! The one on the left is Cody's. I know, I know, you try to raise them right...