Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tragic Day

Farah Fawcett and Michael Jackson both died today. And they were both so young. Ms. Fawcett died of cancer. She was 62. Michael Jackson died of a heart attack. He was 50.

I was never a big fan of either of them, but they were icons of my childhood. I remember watching the original Charlie's Angels vividly. One of my 6th grade classmates told me that Farah Fawcett (she was Farah Fawcett-Majors back then--still married to Lee) never combed her hair. She just got up in the mornings and shook her head and every hair fell right into place. I didn't believe my classmate even then. I knew she had to comb her hair out when she washed it.

The Michael Jackson I prefer to remember was the young one. Before he became the creepy pedophile. He once was very handsome, before he began surgically altering his appearance. And at one time, he made some pretty good music. But then he started to get weird. To me, that's kinda when he stopped being Michael Jackson. You could almost say that he died then, in a way. But today, he died for real. So sad, really.

I think I'll go to bed and get this day over.

1 comment:

Bag Blog said...

I was not a fan of either, but as you said, they were apart of our growing up years. It is sad for both to die so young. It is also sad that our media would choose to put so much into MJ's death when he was so very weird.