Thursday, June 11, 2009

Going To Grandma's

Cody is off again in the morning, this time to spend a week at his grandma's. He's not going to get to stay as long as he did last year, but at least he's getting to go. For a while, there it didn't look like he'd be able to go at all, but things have worked out that he can.

It reminded me, though, of a time back when Cody was little. We were going to Grandma's for Thanksgiving. Cody was really too young to have any concept of time and distance. It is roughly an 8 hour drive from here to there--or it was back then, because we made more stops, Cody being so little and all.

Early that morning, we got into our car and headed out on the road to go to Grandma's. After about 2 hours, we stopped at a rest stop to stretch our legs and so Cody could run off some energy.

"I thought we were going to Grandma's," he said.

"We are," I replied. "I just needed to stretch my legs a bit."

After a few minutes, we got back into the car and drove a couple more hours, then we stopped to eat. "But when are we going to Grandma's," Cody asked.

"We are going to Grandma's, right now." I said. So we ate, got back into our car, and drove a couple more hours. Final stop of the day--Lafayette, LA, to get gas. I filled up the gas tank, used the *ahem* facilities, and we got back into the car.

As I was buckling Cody back into his car seat, he leaned over, put his hand on my arm, and said with all the seriousness a three year old can muster,

"Now, let's go to Grandma's."

.

No comments: