Thursday, May 07, 2009

The Voice Of Reason

I want a laptop. I don't need a laptop, but I want one.

I can't afford a laptop, but I want one.

Cody asked why I wanted one, and I said, "So I can blog while watching TV."

I got a catalog in the mail recently that had laptops on sale. Every time I get one of those, I have to battle the desire to buy one. I finally decided I was going to do it. I was going to buy myself a laptop.

I was looking online, comparing prices. Trying to find something that would fit within my budget, yet still not be totally crappy. I found one that looked good, but was a little more than I can afford to spend. I found another that was relatively cheap, but I wondered if it was any good.

Suddenly, from behind me, I hear the voice of my 15 year old son.

"That's a lot of money to spend for a little convenience."

Sigh, when your teenager has to be the voice of reason, it's time to return to reality.

Especially when my laptop budget just paid for him to go to Disneyworld for 4 days.

5 comments:

chuckieknits said...

hmm, welcome to the club! which brand was drawing you? We recently ordered one--but not for blogging..ours will be our "office" and only for business records. We chose a SONY by the by, after getting an email with a really good offer. A few yrs ago, my PC got fried by a thunderstorm, even tho it was turned off and we've worried about our farm records etc. being in mine ever since, even tho our son was able to save them from the fried PC. so we kind of want the farm to have its own. I'll let you know what we think of it when it arrives..it's due in another week or so.

Patch said...

"So I can blog while watching TV."Maybe a little furniture arranging is in order? Move the computer desk into the living room with the TV? Or move a small TV into the computer room? Would certainly be cheaper than a laptop.

I was actually trying to do that very thing recently, but my furniture pieces are too big for my dinky little odd-shaped living room.

BTW, I think my next (and last) home computer will be a laptop, but AFTER I've finished digitizing my audio CDs, photos, and paper files. For big jobs like that, I'm kinda glad to have the big ol' desktop model in the meantime.

My point: I feel your pain. A quality laptop that does everything you want, at a good price. Mebbe if the economy takes awhile to get going again, retailers will start dropping prices on things like laptops and MP3s in order to get buyers in the door. Hey, stranger things have happened! ;)

Becky G said...

Ann, I was just beginning to check out prices and features. I hadn't settled on any particular brand.

Patti, I used to have the computer where I could watch TV, but I'd rather not go back to having my desktop in the Living room. I'll just wait until things pick up a bit and my budget isn't so tight. Thought it would be nice to have it before football season, so I can watch two games at once. A laptop IS cheaper than DirecTV with Sunday Ticket.

Lizzie Woolley said...

I love having a laptop. I got a new one for Christmas for five hundred dollars from Dell. I LOVE IT!!! It's such a necessity when one is in a University.

Becky G said...

Lizzie, I can only imagine what university is like these day. When I was in a University, we didn't even have computers, much less lap tops. We still made it through. We had to do stuff like go to the library and read books!