Friday, May 08, 2009

The Gift Of Pain

Pain is a gift from God. I know that sounds like I've lost my marbles, but it really is. Pain tells us when something is wrong. Lots of people think they would love to live a life free of pain. And they would be right. We all want to be free of pain.

But not unable to feel pain. There are people who have this condition. They are unable to feel any pain at all. We may think, "Oh that would be wonderful!" but we would be wrong. People who cannot feel pain don't know when something is wrong. They are often found to have accidentally mutilated themselves by doing things like biting off their tongue or poking their own eyes out. They could possibly even be having a heart attack and not know it, because they can't feel pain.

Pain is a gift from God.

Last weekend, when I was cleaning up Cody's room, I bent over to pick something up from the floor. When I stood up, I received a heaping helping of this gift in my left hip. I thought I'd just pulled a muscle or something, and that I'd be better in a few days. Indeed, it did seem to get better.

Then it got worse.

After several sleepless nights and painful days, I'm taking this gift from God to the doctor and telling him to fix it.

But with every cloud comes a silver lining. I took the day off work to do so, and that's always a good day.

Until payday rolls around.

Sigh. Why can't life be easy?

.

3 comments:

StephieKnits said...

Pain is a gift but it is not fun. Praying for your quick healing!

Anonymous said...

I am so encouraged to read this, Becky. It applies to the Christian life as well, doesn't it? God doesn't take away our pain, but He can get us through it like nothing else (well, except maybe certain medications at times!!). I'm praying for you too.

Tammy said...

So sorry! But if life was easy we wouldn't need God. He must want to pull you closer for a bit. :)