Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Friendship Blanket

As all y'all know, I'm making a blankie out of leftover bits of sock yarn. It's going to be a great blankie. But the drawback is that to make a blankie of any decent size will take a tremendous amount of sock yarn. Buying individual skeins of yarn just to make a blankie square is cost prohibitive, and I don't knit socks fast enough to use just my own leftovers. Good thing I've got friends.

The good thing about having friends is that sometimes they will up and send you sock yarn leftovers totally out of the blue.

One day last week, when the side effects of my steroids were really kicking my tail, and I was feeling at my worst, these little gems arrived from my dear friend Sus .

She apologized that it wasn't much, but that doesn't matter. It's not the amount, it's the thought. She cared enough to send me a little bit of yarn for my blankie. Now, it's like I will have a little bit of her in there.

This truly is becoming a friendship blanket. So many people have offered to send me yarn, and each bit of yarn I knit into the blanket will remind me of the person who sent it to me. Every time I wrap myself in it, it'll be like wrapping myself in the hugs of those who care about me.

All this yarn arrived today from a swap I participated in. I'm glad to get it. It will make a valuable addition to my blanket.

But you know what? The four little bits of yarn that arrived unsolicited --from a friend who sent them just because she cares--they mean a whole lot more to me.

Thank you, Sus.

.

2 comments:

Sus said...

OMG, you are SO welcome, Becky!! You are so sweet! :)

Becky G said...

Thank you again, Sus. Your generosity meant the world to me!