Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Random Things

Last week, they posted a notice at work saying no more overtime would be scheduled. When we got to work yesterday, one of my co-workers was telling me how disappointed he was. He really needed that overtime, he said. Not to worry, I replied. It won't last long. Sure enough, before the day was out, they were coming around telling us to come in early. We are back on 9 hour shifts. At least we don't have to go in at 5.


I took Katie to the vet for her annual shots and checkup visit. She is in great shape for a 13 year old dog. Well, she'll be 13 in November. She has lost a bit of weight, but the vet said that is normal at her age. We went ahead and got some blood work done on her, to make sure her organs were still functioning well, and all that was ok, too. I got some different kind of flea stuff for all of them. The Top Spot just didn't seem to be working as well, and the vet said that she thought the fleas were starting to build up some resistance to it. We are trying them on something called Pro Meris. It has a much stronger smell than Top Spot. So much stronger that I had to put the dogs outside for a while until the odor dissipated.


I found a bunch of free Italian language lesson podcasts on iTunes. I'd learned quite a bit of Italian when I was stationed over there, but have forgotten most of it in the 15 years since I've been back. I was hoping to brush up my Italian. I've subscribed to several of the podcasts, but will most likely weed out all but two or three. One of them keeps making a dialog box pop up asking for a pass word. I don't know which one it is, but when I find out, it'll be the first one eliminated.


Rylea bites her nails. I mentioned this to the vet while I was in there with Katie, and she said some dogs do. I've just never seen it. I don't mind. It saves me the headache of having to trim them myself.

I haven't been to Ravelry in 10 days now. It's amazing how much more time I find when I don't go over there. I'm thinking I may not go back at all, but I know that won't last. I need access to my queue too much.

That's all the randomness I have for today.

7 comments:

Inquiries said...

I have always wanted to learn Italian.

Opal said...

You have to Ravel when football season starts. It's the only place I get to talk Cowboys! =:-o

Bag Blog said...

I'd be interested in the Italian lessons too.

I've never had a dog that bit its nails.

Buck said...

I've never heard of a dog chewing their nails, either. But I can see where that would be a BIG bennie... I absolutely hated trimming my dogs' nails. I was forever worrying about cutting them too close and hurting My Girls.

Knit and fall back in it said...

I don't use Ravelry the way it was intended. I usually go over there when I am looking for a pattern or when I have some yarn that I'm not sure how to use. I've got no WIPs or FOs or stash on listed on there.

Sus said...

I had never even considered that there might be language lesson podcasts -- thanks so much for the heads up!!!

Becky G said...

Ashley and Lou, once I've listened to several of the different podcasts I found, I'll do a review of them, and hopefully point you towards the better ones.

Opal, I'm sure I'll be back by football season. Our overtime should be wound down by then.

Buck and Lou, Rylea is the only dog I've ever seen do it, too. You're right, Buck. It is a BIG bennie. I hate trimming nails, too, and you know, I worry about the same thing. Rylea and Katie both have black nails, so I never quite know just where to cut.

Amy, I started out doing it "right". Here lately, I've gotten lazy about entering my stuff, though. It's just with all the overtime, I don't really have time to spend over there.

Sus, check out iTunes or podcast alley. There are a gazillion language podcasts, in every language you can think of! If I could remember whether my sister in law speaks Cantonese or Mandarin, I'd learn some and surprise her! She told me once, and I think it is Cantonese she speaks, but I'm not 100% sure of that.