Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Karate Update

It's been a while since I mentioned karate class, though I'm still going. I've been in a bit of a slump here lately--just lacking motivation. I think the long hours we are pulling at work have a lot to do with that.

Monday night is--well, I can't really call it black belt class any more. It's black and brown belt class now. Might as well just call it advanced class. Anyhow, Monday night was a true black belt class as there were only black belts there. Barrett was there, and when I walked in, he remarked that this was the first time he and I had been to class at the same time since March. Bout right. Josh was also there.

We started off running through Wansu, Kusanku, and Sunsu kata to warm up. Then we did Tokumine no Kun, and after that Urashi. When we had completed Urashi, I said to sensei, "I forgot a li'l bit of it." I'd messed up in a couple of spots, but just minor things. We ran through it again anyway and I got it right the second time. The rest of the class was spent learning (or re-learning in my case) straight line Tokumine. That is like Tokumine no Kun, except that you stay facing the same direction the whole time. It is really good to work it that way with a partner doing bunkai. Sensei was my uke, and we went over it a few times. I kept whacking sensei's hands, but not on purpose. It is much more fun and easier to stay motivated when you are learning new stuff. You feel like you are growing.

Tonight was just me and two new students. Sensei worked with them on learning the basics, while I did all of my kata off to the side. And I did ALL of them. All 12 (8 empty hand and 4 weapons kata), and I did my weapons kata twice. Each. That's like 16 kata. That in itself is a pretty good workout. When sensei gave the white belts a break, we went over straight line Tokumine a couple of times, then I left early.

My friend at work is pregnant. Get this, she got married and had a baby. Then she had another. She wanted more children, but couldn't seem to get pregnant again. Eventually she stopped even thinking about it. Next thing she knew, she was 45 and pregnant. Tomorrow is her baby shower, but I didn't find out until today, so I had to run by Wal-mart and pick up a gift bag and all that. I already had a gift. I'm going to give her this:

January 14, 2006

I finished it quite a while ago, and it has been waiting in the gift drawer for just the right time.

The time is now.

5 comments:

Buck said...

Nice. I know your co-worker will LOVE this!

Sus said...

Beautiful blanket! And how fortunate that you had such a perfect gift waiting in the wings!

Bag Blog said...

I knew a lady who had four kids - I had them all as student in school. The last two kids were twin boys who were a bit of a handful. When the twins were seniors in high school, their mother got pregnant - she was 45. She did not think it was funny when I laughed, but it was funny and it is a joy.

The blanket is beautiful - your friend will love it.

Knit and fall back in it said...

The blanket is beautiful, any baby would be lucky to have such a pretty blankie. I love babies, they are just beautiful little miracles. I am glad that other people keep having them. :)

Becky G said...

Thanks y'all. I hope she likes it. She didn't open the gifts at the shower. We just ate, and she said thanks to everybody, and took the unopened gifts home. I don't know if that's how people of her ethnic background do it or what.

I know in parts of Asia, it is considered improper to open a gift in front of the giver because if the gift is inappropriate, the giver might lose face. Brenda isn't of Asian background, though, so I don't know if that's it or not. I thought it odd that she didn't even attempt to open, or even look into the gift bags at all.

Point is, I still don't know if she liked it.