Monday, July 07, 2008

Back To Work

The first day back to work after a long weekend is always hard. Today, I got in my car to leave, turned the key, and heard that clunky noise that usually signals a dead battery. What threw me, though, was that I couldn't get my key to turn back to the off position so that I could take it out. About that time, J drove up. He'd been working the night shift, so he whizzed me on to work and said he'd check out my car.

He jumped it, and it started right away, but when he turned it off and tried to start it again, everything went dead. So he took the battery in and had it tested. It was dead. It was really dead. It was so dead that the switch thing that made my key let go didn't even have enough juice to let my key go. He looked at the date on the battery, and it was 2003. It just didn't have any more get up and go. He bought a new battery (I paid him back when I got home), and the car is good to go.

In other news, important if you live in coastal areas, Bertha became the season's first hurricane, reaching Cat 3 sometime today. That means her sustained winds are between 111 and 130 MPH.

There is a slight chance she could make land fall in the U.S., but only slight.

9 comments:

Knit and fall back in it said...

2003? I would say that battery has served you well.

Here's hoping that Bertha fizzles out.

Junk Diva said...

Car trouble, yuck.

Sus said...

Coincidentally, our truck refused to start just yesterday. Had to be towed to the shop today (not a battery problem, unfortunately) and we'll probably find out tomorrow what's wrong with it. So I totally feel your pain and hope that our remedy is almost as painless as yours.

Inquiries said...

Whew! Not an expensive problem! Thats good!

Knit and fall back in it said...

I see where Bertha is losing her fury and has been downgraded to a category 2 now. Maybe by the time she hits your area she will just be a good soaking rain.

Becky G said...

Amy, not to worry. If she continues along her projected path, she won't be anywhere near me. Even if she did, I live (now) far enough inland that a good soaking rain is about all we get from any of them--even the dreaded Katrina.

Buck said...

Five years IS a good long life for a battery. I changed mine out about 18 months ago when it got to be over six years old, just on General Principles. A few bucks now beats being stranded later.

Becky G said...

If I'd been paying more attention, I'd have realized that battery was that old. I thought sure I'd just replaced it. My how time flies.

Then I started trying to remember what year I bought the car, and couldn't. I'll I could remember was that I'd gone to pick it up on a Friday in September during tropical storm Isidore. The kids had been let out of school early. They got let out early again a week later on a Friday for tropical storm Lily. The guy who sold me the car was named John Saxon. He used to work out at the plant with me, and got fired. Then he went to work at the car dealership for a couple of years. He left there to go to Bible college to become a missionary. Funny how our minds work. I could remember all those details, but not the year.

Opal said...

What a way to start the week! I hope the rest of the week is better for you. :)