Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Honorable Mentions

When I was making up my What I Love About America post, sometimes I had trouble deciding what to list for each letter. Some letters had more than one option, and I ended up with some difficult decisions to make. Some things got cut from the list because I didn't have sources to cite, and I didn't really want to reference as: "I remember reading in some magazine or somewhere several years ago". Other items had to give way to more important concepts, such as The Bill Of Rights.

Still, I felt that these deserved mentioning, so I gave them their own post. Here they are, other things I love about America;

A--Air Conditioning: Modern Air Conditioners were invented by New Yorker Willis Haviland Carrier. Where would we be without it?

B--Baseball, Basketball: Both games are very popular in America. Though baseball's true origins are not entirely known, the modern version of the game definitely developed here. Basketball was invented by Dr. James Naismith in Springfield Massachusetts.

E--Electricity: Ben Franklin, the kite, and all that.

F--Foreign Aid: I remember reading in a magazine some years ago (probably World magazine) that the U.S. gives more foreign aid than all other countries put together. I'm mighty proud of that.

G--The Grand Canyon: It's pretty grand, at that. I've never been there. I want to go.

H--Hollywood: From movies to television to the idiotic antics of some of its residents, Hollywood never ceases to provide us with endless entertainment.

J--Jobs: When I lived in Italy, the unemployment rate hovered at around 15%. Here, we grouse if it gets above 4%. We ought to be more appreciative that there are so many jobs available here.

T--Television, Telephones: These I lumped together under the topic of Technology.

Y--Yosemite: A fantastic national park, but it had to give way to Yellowstone.

Z--Zee: As opposed to saying "zed", which always makes me think of a blackhead. You know, a zit.

So there you have them, my list of other things I love about America. They may not have made the final cut, but they are definitely worth a mention.

5 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Air conditioning may be my favorite right now.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, A/C in Texas/the South is a necessity, not a luxury.

Your description of Hollywood was spot on.

It's been far too many years since I've been to GC; ready to go back anytime.

I always thought Abner Doubleday invented baseball, but it looks like that's a myth that has been all but disproven

Buck said...

Dunno about Hollywood. It used to be grand and glorious, and the very center of the film-making world... the envy of just about person on the face of the planet. All that is highly debatable at this point in time, especially given the purely anti-American crap that seems to be en vogue these days.

I, for one, would relish a return to Hollywood's previous glory days. I pretty much despise them...ALL of them -- directors, producers, actors -- the whole lot... these days. Yeah, there are a few, VERY few, exceptions that prove the rule. But mostly they suck.

(Yeah: you hit a "hot button.")

Becky G said...

Lou, you and me both.

Patti, it makes me wonder how our ancestors did it.

Buck, do I detect a hint of bitterness there?

Buck said...

Nope... no bitterness. Just scorn and contempt for those over-paid, under-skilled, and under-brained poseurs. And just a little bit of wonder at Hollywood's continuing ability to sell the crap they produce.