Monday, April 01, 2019

Long Weekend

My long weekend is just about over.  I'm afraid there really isn't much to tell you about it.  I'd wanted to get up and do something today, but I just didn't. Of course, you know the zoo trip was out of the question after getting that vet bill.  Still, I thought I'd drive up to Southaven or even Batesville and do a little window shopping, but with no money to spend, that lost its appeal.  What I did instead was finish the mowing, split some more firewood, and wash dishes.  That's real exciting, huh? 

Saturday, I rented the new Aquaman movie.  Now, first thing I must say is that I'm not a big fan of DC movies -- not since the original Superman with Christopher Reeve, and the original Batman with Michael Keaton.  I did kind of like Batman Begins, but The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises, eh, not so much. 

I had high hopes for Aquaman, because of Jason Momoa.  Someone once said, "Only Jason Momoa could make Aquaman not suck," and truthfully, he was the best part of the movie.  Oh, it wasn't terrible.  It was an, "I'm glad I rented it, but I don't think I'll buy it" kind of movie.   It could have been great.  Instead, it just sort of flirted with greatness, but didn't quite get there. 

For example -- and I should probably give you a spoiler alert, even though the spoilers I'm about to drop were so blatantly obvious and predictable, they aren't really spoilers at all -- in the cave, when he turns away from the two women to go after the trident.  That moment could have packed a lot more punch.  Instead, it fell a bit flat.  What should have been momentous, left me feeling like, "is that all?"  Same way when he retrieved the trident.  That could have been -- should have been -- an intensely powerful scene, birth of a hero and all, but again, it fell flat. 

The other thing I didn't like was that the battle scenes just seemed to drag on and on.  In fact, the whole movie seemed to be one fight after another, with just enough of a plot to connect them.  The best scene of all was the mid credit scene.  Now, that left me wide eyed and saying, "Wow!"  All that to say, this is one that won't be added to my collection. 

The rest of my weekend was spent watching Lone Star Law.  For some reason, Hulu has skipped me all the way up to season 4.  I'm going to have to go back and watch seasons 1 - 3.  I've seen a few season 1 episodes, but then the "Watch Next Episode" option took me all the way to season 4.  Not that that's important, but still. 

In the midst of all that watching -- and the accompanying homesickness it brought on -- I finished a hat. 


And I started another. 


This one is just plain stockinette.  The plain ones knit up so much faster. 

If I seem a bit down tonight, it's because I have to go back to work tomorrow, and I'm not looking forward to it.  Have I ever mentioned how much I hate my job?  I hate it even more, now that I've got a stalker harassing me. 

Maybe I need to go on and put that milk bucket under that bull. 



No comments: