Tuesday, April 02, 2019

Work And Waitresses

Halfway across the parking lot this morning,  I felt like something was missing.  I couldn't quite shake the feeling I'd forgotten something.  I went through my mental checks...coffee:  check; lunch:  check; phone:  check; driver's license:  uh oh.

That's what I forgot.  My driver's license, my debit cards, my cash -- everything.  I'd planned on going into town after work, but upon making this discovery, I decided my in town trip could wait.   I did stop and pay the bill that was on my route home, but that's all.  I told my coworker it's been so long since I've been to work, I forgot what I was supposed to bring with me.

Speaking of work, I found out a long time supervisor quit last week.  I mean, he's been working out there longer than I have, and has been a supervisor for the last 20 years.  He said he'd finally gotten fed up.  He was tired of being chewed out over stuff he had no control over.  He'd had enough, and found himself a new job.  I can't say as I blame him.  They do the same thing to us.  They're constantly shrieking about our leak rates, yet when we point out things that lead to increased leaks, they say, "I don't see that as a problem."  Now, they're talking about taking away our brazer pay, because of leaks, yet they won't do anything to solve our problems.  It's like we're constantly having to battle our way upstream, and they're beating us up because we aren't swimming fast enough. 

I'm almost to the point where I'm going to pull up stakes, move back to Texas, and hope I can find something once I get there.   Because I have just about had enough, myself. 

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate my job?

Now, for something more interesting.

A few weeks ago, someone posted on Facebook a video of the Chinese Waitress Cast on.  You've heard me mention it before.  It's become my go to cast on for hats.  Well, someone asked what the cast on had to do with Chinese waitresses.  After a bit of sleuthing, I can now answer that question.

The cast on appeared in the book Cast On, Bind Off, by Cap Sease

Cast On, Bind Off: 211 Ways to Begin and End Your Knitting ...
The story is, a friend of hers was in Beijing, China, and a waitress there taught her this cast on.  She didn't know the official name of it, so she made one up.  It was literally named after a Chinese waitress.

Pretty cool, huh? 


No comments: