Saturday, April 27, 2019

Quiet Saturday

Well, I finally gave up on this hat and sent it off to the frog pond.


I just couldn't seem to get the decreases to work out right.  I don't know if you can see it here, but in the decrease rounds, it made these rib-like things every few inches.


Hang on, let me circle it for you.  See, here it is.


It may not have been that obvious, but it stood out light a lightning bolt to me.  I tried and tried different ways of decreasing, but it still ended up doing that.  I finally took the better part of valor and ripped the whole hat.   I've already cast on a new hat, but it's only got two rounds so far, so there's not much use in taking a picture of it for you.

What I can do, however, is show you the other hat I finished.


Sans pompom.  I still haven't gotten around to making one, or really even deciding if I want to make one.  They look cool, but are kind of a pain in the butt.  I have time, though.  My friend doesn't usually need the hats until around September-ish, so I can put one on later, if I want to.

The only other thing I accomplished today was to get the plants I bought yesterday into the ground. Or pot, as the case may be.

I put my two zinnias into the small bed in front of the porch.


Once I'd done that, I kind of wished I'd bought enough to do the whole bed, but I didn't.  Maybe next year.  This year, I planted the six moss rose I also bought.


That filled up the little bed quite nicely, and I'm done planting for the year.


Here you can see the two Creeping Jenny in their hanging baskets.


By the end of the summer, they'll be trailing all the way down to the ground.

Then I mowed.  Oh, the mowing.  Always with the mowing...And while I was mowing, I was having imaginary conversations with my son.  He said, "You could always get married again.  Then you'd have someone to mow for you."  I responded, "That's a mighty steep price to pay just to get your grass cut."

I'll just keep pushing that mower around, thank you very much.

Well, I haven't seen my rose breasted grosbeaks any more, but according to the book, they only pass through here during spring and fall migrations.  I'm lucky I saw them that one time.  I did, however, see a ruby throated hummingbird on my feeder, and a bluebird in the yard.  I miss seeing my deer, but the risk of attracting one with CWD is just too great.  Hopefully, the disease will be contained and the feeding ban will be lifted soon.

Finally, I know, I know.  I said I was going to stop bombarding you with this group, but every time I turn around, I find a new song that I just can't stop listening to.  This is one such song.



For what it's worth, there will always be room for a shanty man in my world.  I am my father's daughter after all.

And I've got lots more videos to share in the posts to come.  I know you just can't wait.

No comments: