Thursday, April 25, 2019

Vacation Day

What good is it to take a day off if you wake up at 4:00 AM anyway?

OK, I guess the good part is, even though I didn't go back to sleep, I still stayed in bed until nearly 6:00, when the call of bladder and bowel became too great to be ignored.  And that's how my vacation day started. 

As I mentioned yesterday, company policy says if you take a vacation day on Thursday, you get Friday and Saturday off as well.  With that in mind, I spent the entire day hemming and hawing about whether I was going to go back to work tomorrow, or take off until Monday.  I mean, I did other things, too, but I was hemming and hawing about whether I was going to go back to work tomorrow or take off until Monday while I was doing them.  I kept going back and forth -- that's a lot of overtime to be passing up, yet I need a break from the stalker, but that's a lot of overtime to be passing up, but I could use the vacation.  And on and on it went.  Until...I glanced up at the clock and saw that it was nearly 7:00 PM -- bedtime for a workday. 

I said to myself, "I'm just not ready to go to bed yet", and so taking off until Monday won out.

Anyway, while I was doing all that hemming and hawing and going back and forth, I finished another hat for my friend's blessing bags.


I started a pink one, but neglected to take a picture of it.  I'll get one tomorrow.

It rained off and on all day, though the severe weather passed well to the south of me, so I stayed inside and watched two episodes of Vera, three of Doc Martin, and I finally got around to watching Tombstone.  While I was watching Escape To The Country on YouTube, the internet dropped.  I was almost happy, because I ran and got out the old record player and listened to my records.

In the midst of all that, I took advantage of a break in the rain to plant my front flower bed.  All I'm putting in this year are these six Vincas.


The one in the bottom right was a bit wilted.  I don't think it was getting enough water.  I went back and checked on it an hour or so later, and it seems to have perked up a bit.  Maybe it'll survive.  We shall see.

I also put in two zinnias.


I think that's all I'm going to do this time around.  I've got these Chinese Forget-Me-Nots that came up again, reseeded from the ones I planted last year.  Or was it the year before?  I don't remember.


This is something else coming up in what was meant to be my wildflower bed. 


I'm not sure what it is, but it's got some buds on it, so I'm going to leave it alone and see what comes of it.

Last but certainly not least, I was looking out the kitchen window, and saw a new type of bird at my feeder.  Well, not new, but one I hadn't seen before.  I grabbed my Field Guide and quickly identified it as a Rose Breasted Grosbeak. 

Blog: Rose-breasted grosbeak time | Off Target | Southern ...


This is not my picture.  I don't have a camera that can take one this good at the moment.  I copped it off a bird identification site online. 

Other than writing a letter, and wondering what day it was for most of the day (Is it Saturday?  It feels like Saturday.  No, it's Friday.  Isn't it Friday?  Oh, wait, it's Thursday.  Yeah, it's Thursday, right?), that's about how my day went. 

How was yours?

No comments: