Wednesday, March 13, 2019

What Kind Of A Day

I knew what kind of a day it was going to be the minute I woke up...no, scratch that.

I knew what kind of a day it was going to be the minute I rolled over for the umpteenth time and saw the clock said 11:00 PM, and I was still awake.  Now, to some of you, this might not be a big deal, but hon, when you have to get up at 3:00 AM, it's drastic.  And when that alarm did go off, my first thought was, "At least I got a little sleep."

I got up and dragged my weary body into work, where I wasn't sure I was going to make it for a while.  "I'll feel better after I eat lunch," I thought.  Then Supervisor came around and said, "Safety meeting at 11:00."  Eleven o'clock?  That's lunch time!

He walked on and my coworker and I went to our group leader and asked her why they would have a meeting during our only break.  She said it was supposed to be at 10:50.  Oh.  But that's not much better.  So, they get us all herded into the break room at ten minutes till lunch, get all the papers and pencils passed out, and I looked at my clock and said to the safety guy, "You've got 9 minutes."

He thought I was joking.

I wasn't.

I don't think I've ever heard a safety brief given quite that quickly before.  The rest of the work day passed without incident, and I came home to some surprises waiting for me.  OK, not really surprises, because I ordered it all, but that's not nearly as much fun.   Since we're going to be getting some overtime now, I went ahead and ordered one more of those National Geographic records.


I've got two more, and the collection will be complete.  The last two, I didn't really like, so I'm kind of wishy washy about ordering them at all.   I mean, I want them to have the collection, but do I really want them?  I don't know...I'll figure it out later.

I had a little bit of a balance left on my Amazon account, so I also ordered a record cleaning kit, because the records I've been getting are used, and some are quite dusty.


I haven't tried it yet.  I probably will over the weekend. 

Oh, by the way, we are working this Friday as well.  Rumor going around was that we were going to be working Saturday, too, but that turned out not to be true.  However, scuttlebutt is we'll be working 6 days by this time next month.  We shall see.  I'm not going to complain about it.  The more hours I work, the faster I get my debts paid off, and the faster I can get my house fixed up.

It feels kind of weird not having a major home renovation project going on this year.    And, yes, I do realize my idea of major might be some of y'all's idea of minor, but to me anything in excess of $1K is major.  The next major thing I want to do is get new floors, and that will cost a pretty penny.  In a future post, I'm going to show you pictures of what I have, and what I want.  I think this year, I've got some broken windows I want to get replaced, but that's about it.  Unfortunately, that requires a phone call.  Which is why the windows are still broken.  Hmmmm, maybe I can send a FB message...

Moving right along, the last thing I got in the mail today was a new wax stamp, this one with my initial on it.


OK, that wasn't the last thing, but I didn't really think you'd want to see my new door mat.  It's just plain black, and smells like it was made from recycled car tires or something.  I put it outside my French Doors, and have already broken it in.

Finally, we are under another severe weather alert for tonight.  Thunderstorms, possibly with hail and tornadoes.  Now, don't start getting all freaked out about it.  This is typical springtime weather for the South.  It's been this way since long before I moved here.  Plus, I'm in a brick house now, and feel so much safer than when I lived in a trailer house.  Of course, I always had the cousins' house to retreat to if needs be, but still.

For those of you not from The South, our seasons are as follows:



Being as I grew up on the Gulf Coast, I'd add hurricane season in there, too.  Someone once asked me why there was no fishing season listed.  Because in the South, fishing isn't a season.

It's a way of life.






No comments: