Monday, March 18, 2019

Weirdos

I don't know why, but I always seem to attract the weirdos.  Take today at work, for example...

It was along about 1:00 PM, and the temp supervisor was leading a line of new hires through the plant.  I don't know where they take them.  Somewhere back in the warehouse to begin their training.

I'd been over at the computer at the time, and when I turned to go back to my brazing stand, I noticed them walking by.  The last guy in the line was looking at me.  I didn't think too much about it.  They look at us, and we look at them.  No big deal.  I got back to my stand and looked back over at the line.  This time, I was looking for people who'd worked here before, so we could say, "Oh, look!  So-and-so's back!"  Again, no big deal.  We do it all the time.  I didn't see anyone I recognized, but just as I was about to go back to work, a red knit hat caught my eye.

I did a double take, because it wasn't just a plain stockinette hat.  I studied it for a moment, thinking it might be a pattern I could reverse engineer for my charity knitting.  Out of my peripheral vision, I could see the guy who'd been looking at me before still looking.  Only this time, he was practically glaring at me.  I glanced over, wondering who he was, then went back to studying the hat.

It passed out of my line of sight, and I went back to work.  The whole time, this other guy was lagging behind the other newbs, glaring at me.  He got all bowed up and actually started walking towards me at one point.  After they'd all gone on, one of my coworkers said, "That last guy was looking at you like you owe him some money!"  I know, right.  What was his problem?  I don't even know him.  Like I said, I always seem to attract the weirdos. 

The good news is, I won't have to deal with him any more.  As I was leaving work, I saw him with the group who will be working on B shift.  And please don't suggest I turn him in to HR.  Our HR department is about as useless as a milk bucket under a bull.  I've had a whole lot worse happen to me out there, but "Well, he said he didn't do it, so I'm closing the case." Yeah, we're pretty much on our own out there. 

Now on to better things.  My red Christmas cactus is blooming again.


When I was mowing yesterday, look!  I got some sun.


Oh, THERE'S my Irish DNA! 

Finally, I just had a Jehovah's Witness come to the door.  We discussed theology for a moment.  She thanked me for listening, and I wished her luck. 

And Jesus did a divine face palm at his wayward child...



No comments: