Saturday, March 09, 2019

Springtime In The South

As it happens, I didn't have to wait long at all to use my new NOAA weather radio.  I woke up to find this little gem:


I've got to figure out how to boost the antenna, though.  I could hear the NOAA channel, but there was a lot of static, which was a bit annoying.  The important thing was, I could hear the warning tone quite clearly.

As if two very nervous dogs weren't warning enough...

There were a couple of tornadoes that touched down, but they weren't where I live.  I was going to say they weren't anywhere near where I live, but I realized that wasn't quite true.  One was about 100 miles to the North of me, but it was headed the other way.  The worst we got here was some strong winds and heavy rains.



After I posted that, I actually had some people telling me I needed to move.  Really?  For one thing, that's not even that bad.  It's just some wind and rain.  Now, when you get a storm that the lightning strikes so hard and so fast it looks like a strobe light in a disco...that's a storm.   Quite frankly, I'm a bit surprised at these people's alarm.  This is typical springtime weather here in the South.  The same thing happened last year, and the year before...and will happen again next year, and the year after.

Secondly, where on Earth are you going to move that doesn't have weather?  There is always going to be something.  Storms.  Blizzards.  Wildfires.  Mudslides.  Hurricanes.  It's all part of living on this good Earth.

Besides, I kind of geek out over this stuff.

After the worst had passed, and all warnings had been cancelled, I settled down to watch Lone Star Law and knit a bit.


I'm knitting that same pattern as I did on the yellow hat I finished last week, but I did not do the provisional cast on this time, nor did I do the few rows of plain stockinette, either.   Again, no pattern.  I'm just making it up as I go.

I guess that's about it, unless you want to hear about me washing dishes to the dulcet tones of the NOAA channel's robot voice.

Oh, I can show you this:



It's another gem YouTube's autoplay sent me.  I have no idea what they're saying, and I don't understand a word of Irish, but it's an awesome song. 

I've been enamored of my Scottish heritage for quite some time, but this makes me want to explore more of my Irish side. 






No comments: