Friday, March 01, 2019

Last One

The last one of my latest round of record buying has finally arrived.


It actually got here during the week -- Tuesday or Wednesday, I think-- but I'm telling ya, those 12 hour shifts are really hurting the blog.  I can think of great things to blog about, and even mentally compose some excellent posts, but by the time I get home...well, for one thing, I only have about 2 1/2 to 3 hours before it's time to go to bed.

When one gets up ridiculously early, one must also go to bed ridiculously early.

By the time I get the deer fed, the birds fed, the dogs fed, myself fed and bathed, and do what I need to do to keep the house just above squalor, the idea of blogging just feels like another chore.  I don't want it to be that way, so until they decide to put us back to a human schedule, blogging will pretty much be confined to weekends.  And posts might end up being a bit longer, due to having lots to catch up on.  I hope you don't mind.

Now, back to my regularly scheduled blog post...the record above.  It's a nice set.  It's got four records in it, showcasing some great American folk songs.  The only problem with it is the folk songs aren't performed folksy enough.  I mean, the singers do a great job, but, well, imagine the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing Camptown Races, and there you have it.

I much prefer the National Geographic collections.

Speaking of music, YouTube's autoplay sometimes sends me great songs.  Other times, I get this:



It was my earworm all day Thursday. *Sue!  Earworm alert*  Don't say I didn't warn you!  Naturally, I had to do what any red blooded American would do.  I had to come home and prove to those Brits that yes, I could in fact, tie a bowline knot.  My dad taught me, back when he was teaching me such things as to plot hurricanes on a tracking chart, read a sextant, and throw a harpoon.  I was 7-ish...

I tore up my house looking for some rope, string, cord, something with which to tie a bowline knot, but alas, all I could find was yarn.  I added rope to my shopping list, and today at the store, I picked up this paracord,


because you always should have some rope around the house.  For emergencies.  Or in case you want to kidnap someone.

I quickly whipped out this here bowline knot,


and waved it in front of the TV -- as if I thought they could see me-- and shouted, "See, I can too tie a bowline"  -- as if I thought they could hear me.  Sigh...well, at least NSA now knows I can tie a bowline. 

Oh, and by the way, you Kimber's Men guys, I tied mine without looking.  Can you do that?  *I sit here shouting at my computer screen -- as if I think they can hear me.*

Clearly, I don't get enough sleep...All goes back to that getting up ridiculously early thing. 

OK, moving right along...

I've been wanting some sort of fancy box to put all my fancy letter writing paper in.  I found a really nice one on Amazon, but didn't really want to pay $40 for it.  I said to myself, "Self, why don't you look at Wal-mart for something like that?"  That's exactly what I did.

Well, I meant to do it last week, but in my haste to race the storms back home, I completely forgot.  Today, I remembered.  I went over to the wood craft section and found this set of three trays. 


The largest one is just right for my paper.


The middle one holds my envelopes, stamps  --postage and wax--, and address book.


And the smallest one holds my pens and inks. 


If you look carefully, you can see they all nest together just right.  All my letter writing supplies are finally nice and organized.  Alls I need is someone to write a letter to.  I'm sure those of you who've been getting letters are getting kind of tired of them, right? 

Finally, on the knitting front, I still haven't decided what to knit out of this yellow yarn.  I've only got the ribbing done.


For some reason --it must have been a fit of insanity, I don't really know -- I decided to do a provisional cast on and double the ribbing.  By the time I was done picking out the waste yarn and picking up the stitches so I could knit the now-live cast on stitches together with the working end, I was cursing my very existence and the day I was born.  But, it's done now and I've got to decide how I want to do the body. 

Heck, I may just make up a sampler type pattern.  I don't know.  I'll figure something out. 




No comments: