Friday, March 29, 2019

Vet Trip

Thanks to this long weekend, I finally got the dogs into the vet for their rabies and heartworm shots.  Pretty routine stuff.  As you can see, Rylea is handling it like an old pro, and Jesse is his usual nervous, neurotic self.


Ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh here he comes!!!


In addition to the usual stuff, Jesse had a bubble thing come up on his lip recently that I wanted the vet to look at.  You can see it here circled in red.


The vet numbed Jesse's lip up and cut the thing off.  He said it was a tumor, and was most likely benign.  We discussed having it sent off and tested to see if it was malignant or not, but I decided not to.  The vet said chemotherapy for dogs is expensive, stressful, and will at best give them only 6-8 more months.  I said we're not going to put him through all that just for a few months.  I'll just keep an eye on him, and if something comes up down the road, we'll deal with it then. 

Jesse doesn't seem too bothered, but he wouldn't eat his supper.   If he doesn't eat his breakfast in the morning, I might run up to the dollar store on the corner and get him some canned food.  It'll be easier for him to eat if his lip is still sore.   

Once the vet trip was done, and I'd brought the dogs home, I said to myself, "Self, since you're already up and dressed, you might as well get the shopping done."  So I did, but it wasn't very exciting.  I wandered through the garden center to see what they had, and it wasn't much.  No Zinnias at all.  I've probably mentioned it before, but I'm having trouble getting excited about my flower beds this year.  I don't know what I'm going to do with them.  They usually end up being a mess of weeds anyway.

Speaking of weeds, I saw my next door neighbor, and told her Tomato Man had asked to plant tomatoes again.  She said, "He's got some gall, I tell you!"  Then she said he'd made her hoe them once last year.  I'd come home from work one day and saw that the weeds had been cut back.  I thought he'd done it, but no, he'd made the rickety old lady on the other side hoe them.  She only did it once.  She told him if she'd wanted to take care of tomatoes, she'd have planted them herself.  I told her he'd tried to get me to water them, but I wouldn't. 

The last major thing I did today was to mow.  I'm trying to get ahead of the weeds this year.  I still have to do behind the fence, but I think I'll raise the mower bed some, because I've seen bees on some of the wildflowers back there.  I'm not sure what it is.  It's a tiny blue flower that stays low to the ground.  Whatever it is, I'm going to leave it alone for a while.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so I may put off finishing up the mowing until Monday, since I can't go to the zoo after paying the vet bill. 

In knitting knews -- heh, see what I did there?-- I cast on a new hat last night. 


I probably shouldn't be showing you my Irish DNA, but there it is, and I'm not taking the picture over. 

Back to the hat.  I used the Chinese Waitress cast on again.  It may become my go-to cast on for hats.  It's way stretchy, even more than the Twisted German cast on, and gives a nice, neat edge.  Knitting is going kind of slow, though, because my finger got twisted in the dog's leash this morning, and is pretty sore.  I don't think it's broken.  It isn't swollen at all, and it bends just fine.  It's just really tender, like a bad bruise. 

It'll slow me down, but it won't stop me. 


No comments: