Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Apparently

Judging by the reactions of some of my coworkers, the phrase useless as a milk bucket under a bull isn't widely used around these parts.  I guess it's one of my Texasisms I brought with me.

Also, apparently Jehovah's Witnesses don't like it when you bring science into the discussion.  I'd read a book years ago about how to share the gospel with JWs, because you can't witness the same way you would with any other non-Christian.  That's the problem with pseudo Christian cults.  They they think they believe in the same Jesus we do, but they don't.

So, I was standing there, half listening and thinking I ought to say something, (and kind of wishing she'd just shut up so I could go to bed), trying to dredge up some of that information from that book I'd read, when something she said caught my attention. She'd said how God intended the world to be perfect when he created it, and Adam and Eve's sin messed that up. I said, "Yes, that's why Jesus died for our redemption."

She said something along the lines of (and I'm paraphrasing here, because I don't remember her exact words) God had to think up a plan after Adam and Eve sinned, so he came up with the idea of sending his son to die for our atonement.

"Wait a minute," I interrupted.  "You don't believe God is omniscient?"

She got that deer in the headlights look and said, "Omniscient?"

"Yeah, don't you believe God is omniscient and omnipotent?  You don't believe God knew we would fall to sin?"  She asked me if I believe that.  I said, "Yeah, I do.  I do believe he knew.  It even says in the book of Revelation that Jesus was 'slain from the foundation of the world. Now why would he put this plan into place from the foundation of the world if he didn't know. .'"  (Again, paraphrasing for lack of memory and the sake of brevity.)

She said God chose a state of not knowing.  I replied, "Well, if he chose to not know, then he must have known something would happen."

She said, "So you believe God knows the future?"

"Yeah!  God exists outside of time and space, and so he isn't subjected to a linear progression of time the way we are."  She didn't like that at all.

The conversation continued, and we eventually got to discussing the Trinity -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the three in one.  She somewhat condescendingly said that she often met many people who believe in the Trinity.  I replied that Jesus even said so -- he said I and my Father are one.  (John 10:30).

She countered with, "You know in the Bible where it says a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh?  Do believe they become one person?"

I said, "Well, no, of course they don't meld into the same body."  She got a look of triumph on her face and said, "Right!"  Until I replied, "But God is not bound by the same laws of physics that we humans are!"

Her look of triumph quickly faded, and I have a feeling she had to repent a few unwholesome words that popped into her head.  The conversation ended soon after that.  She thanked me for coming to the door and I wished her luck and Jesus just shook his head and said, "Oh, sweet child of mine..."

JWs go through extensive training, and are taught how to counter all the arguments true Christians will give them.  All the normal ones that is.

And that poor girl had to run into me...


No comments: