Friday, March 08, 2019

Overtime!

I finally got some!  Overtime, that is.  Yep, we worked today.  A full 12 hour shift.  I'm not going to complain, though.  My bank account was starting to seriously squeak. 

I did a very silly thing last night.  I even told myself it was silly, but I did it anyway.  What was it?  Well, I'll tell you.  I kept waking up to check the time, because I was worried I'd sleep through the alarm.  Silly, huh?  It's the exact same alarm I wake up to every single other morning of the week.  Why on earth would I sleep through it today?  But still, I must have woken up 5 times -- just to look at the clock.   

As a result I'm quite ready for bed, so this will be brief. 

First things first, though.  After work, I had to run into town to pay a bill, so I decided to go ahead and get my shopping done while I was there.  Since going into town isn't exactly my favorite thing to do, you know.

Plus it's supposed to be raining all day tomorrow.  The good news is, they downgraded the storm threat from tornadoes and hail to just strong thunderstorms.  Of course, tornadoes and hail are always a possibility.  It's just not as much of one now.

In the light of the upcoming storms,  and what with the devastation of the last two weekends, I used some of my Amazon gift card money and bought a weather radio.


This is one of those all purpose camping/emergency deals.  It has a thing to plug it in, plus two different kinds of batteries (AAA and lithium ion), and the lithium ion can be charged either by a hand crank or plugging it in, and it's got a solar panel to help maintain the charge -- I guess for when your arm gets tired of hand cranking it.  It also has a place to charge a cell phone, a light, and an SOS signal with strobe light. And, of course, it has AM/FM/WB radio bands.  The only drawback to this one is that the radio has to be on and set to a station to get alerts.  It's not something I can just forget about until a tornado warning is issued, then it'll sound a siren that'll wake the dead. 

Eh, it'll do for now.  Maybe later, I'll upgrade to one of the fancier, and thus more expensive, models.  The older I've gotten, the more I follow the weather -- especially storm systems.  What can I say?  I am my father's daughter after all.

By the way, word around the plant is we'll be working Fridays for a while now.  We're starting to get orders in -- I imagine it's in anticipation of all that snow finally melting.  Some day.  Also, I heard more than 7000 units got ruined in the flooding a couple of weeks ago, and we have to rebuild those. 

It's like we're heading into the busy season already behind...

Finally, since Google + will be shutting down in a few weeks, I've already stopped publishing blog links to the site, and have noticed a significant drop in hits the last two days.  I didn't realize I got so much traffic from there.  But apparently, I do. 

Or maybe I just got boring. 

Y'all are tired of sea shanties, aren't you?  That's it, isn't it? 

*Peeps around furtively, then bursts into song.  Loudly*

Oh, the boatmen dance, the boatmen sing, the boatmen do most anything,
When the boatmen get on shore, spends his money and he works for more

No comments: