Sunday, March 17, 2019

Thor's Week

Long time readers may remember me posting about Thor's Day Mayhem at work.  For a while there, every Thursday -- or Thor's Day in the old way -- everything at the plant seemed to go wrong, and work was absolute chaos.  So it was this week, except it was the whole week long.  Everything that could go wrong, did.

As if that weren't stressful enough, I had Boss Man standing over one shoulder wanting to know why the line was down waiting on headers (it was because their sub-brazer was down waiting on parts), and Brazing Boss standing over the other shoulder telling me to "slow down, don't worry about production, just be careful to keep your leak rate down."

He actually told us that in a meeting once.  "I know when the line gets right on you, it's tempting to crank that torch up full blast and braze fast, but you can't do that.  You have to keep on working slow."

I hate to break it to you, Honeybunch, but that ain't going to happen.  Production signs my paycheck, therefore production takes priority.  If you would actually solve the problems we deal with, our leak rate would go down, even though we're brazing fast.  But, that takes time and effort, and it's just easier to scream at the brazers. 

Anyway, I think Friday afternoon I set a new personal best record.  I brazed 50 headers in just over 30 minutes.  I was flying, I tell ya.  It's taken me most of the weekend just to be able to move my arms again.

Then I had to get out and mow...Yay, my favorite thing!  *Insert look of disgust here*  I said I was going to hire my yard work out this year, but I just don't think it's in the budget right now.  So, out to mow I go.

Since the threat of severe weather has passed -- at least for a few days at least -- Old Glory is finally back in her proper spot.


Then I had to move my hummingbird feeder to the other hook, because the flag kept getting caught on the perches and spilling all the nectar.


I haven't seen any birds yet, but they'll be along soon enough.

In knitting news, I'm about sick of this here hat.


It's taken forever to knit, and now I'm on the decreases, and I can't get them to work out right.  They're breaking up my nice little swirly pattern.  Again, I'm not using a pattern.  Just making it up as I go.  I got so frustrated, that I set it aside and cast on a new one.


It's going to be orange (obviously) with a camo stripe.  The thing about this one is, someone posted on FB a video about how to do a Chinese Waitress cast on.  I thought I'd try it out.  At first, I was like, "Oooh, I don't like this."  But by the time I was done, I'd gotten the hang of it, and was able to do it pretty quickly.  It makes a nice stretchy cast on, but doesn't make your ribbing spread out like a knit on cast on does.  Plus, you start at the end of the yarn, so you don't have to figure out how much yarn to use, as in the Twisted German cast on.  For those of you who are interested, here is the video I used:



The only thing I did differently was to use a third needle to bind off the stitches.   It seemed to work better for me -- being as this was my first time trying it.

Lookit!  I got a new shirt.


And a new hat.


Lastly, since I still haven't gotten my software for my record player installed, I decided to try something different-- just as a temporary measure.  See, one of my records started skipping in a spot where I was sure it hadn't skipped before, and I began to get nervous that I was going to ruin them.

So, I did what any red blooded American would do.  I improvised.  I got my camera out and recorded some of my favorite songs as the record was playing.   This is just me, holding the camera, so if you're subject to motion sickness, I'd advise you not to watch the video.  Just listen.

No, it's not the best recording -- static, pops, and white noise, but it'll do for now.  This one is probably my favorite song out of all the songs on all the National Geographic albums. 



What I like about these versions of things is that they are simple, yet heartfelt.  I know several recording artists have done this song, but they all put too much stylin' in them. 

Straightforward and simple.  That's how I roll. 

No comments: